udev: lost dvd

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

udev: lost dvd

James-2
Hello,

A few weeks ago I updated all of the gentoo systems I manage to udev.
(Late to the udev party). Well I've got vlc, mplayer, and kaffeine
working splendidly on 2 different intel portables. However, an Athlon
on an Asus A7v8X-X motherboard is not happy with the dvd or the
audio: Works fine, as audio CDs play just fine.

Hardware:
AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2400+
(from lscpi)
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX
5200] (rev a1)

(from lshw)
capabilities: smbios-2.3 dmi-2.3
 product: A7V8X-X
       vendor: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
       physical id: 0
       version: REV 1.xx
description: BIOS
          vendor: Award Software, Inc.
          physical id: 0
          version: ASUS A7V8X-X ACPI BIOS Revision 1007 (11/13/2003)
              *-cdrom
                   description: IDE CD-ROM
                   product: SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-152G
                   physical id: 0
                   bus info: ide@1.0
                   logical name: /dev/hdc
                   version: C400
                   capabilities: packet atapi cdrom removable
       nonmagnetic dma lba iordy audio

(from dmesg)
hdc: SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-152G, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

Kernel (miscellaneous from config file:
CONFIG_I2C_NFORCE2=m
CONFIG_SENSORS_VIA686A=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV=y
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_FB_NVIDIA=m
# CONFIG_FB_NVIDIA_I2C is not set

Symptoms:
When (2.6.14-gentoo-r2)booting I get this error:
AT boot time: screen errors related to lm_sensors, which I
do not think are related to audio and DVD problems.

video:
vlc's gui fires up but nothing happens when I select to play a DVD
that plays on an intel portable..

Kaffeine gives more information:
"The source can't be read.
Maybe you don't have enough rights for this, or the sourece doesn't
contain data (e.g. no disc in drive). (/dev/dvd)"

Sooooooooooo:
I did notice The dvd devices are missing:
ls -alg /dev/dvd
ls: /dev/dvd: No such file or directory
likewise video is missing:  
ls -alg /dev/video
ls: /dev/video: No such file or directory

The dvd/video devices are not  being created by the boot process
and udev, or I've munged things up in the kernel. Ideas on how to
diagnose and fix the dvd mapping to hdc are welcome.

James

--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: udev: lost dvd

Bugzilla from bigfish@asmallpond.org
On 11/17/05, James <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sooooooooooo:
> I did notice The dvd devices are missing:
> ls -alg /dev/dvd

Does /dev/hdc exist?  If so, what are the permissions there?  What
about /dev/cdrom?

What does "/sbin/cdrom_id /dev/hdc" report?

You can also try setting udev_log=7 in /etc/udev/udev.conf, run
udevstart, and take a look at the messages in /var/log/messages to see
what devices udev is seeing, what rules it is matching for those, and
what devices and links it is creating.

> likewise video is missing:
> ls -alg /dev/video
> ls: /dev/video: No such file or directory

The default rules for udev (in /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules) makes
framebuffer devices in /dev/fb/, with symlinks at /dev/fbX.  The only
'video' devices are for capture cards, and are created as
/dev/v4l/videoX, with symlinks as /dev/videoX.  What device are you
expecting at /dev/video?

-Richard

--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: udev: lost dvd

James-2
Richard Fish <bigfish <at> asmallpond.org> writes:

> Does /dev/hdc exist?  If so, what are the permissions there?  What
> about /dev/cdrom?
Initially:
brw-rw----  1 cdrom 22, 0 Nov 17 16:41 /dev/hdc
so I change it to 777
brwxrwxrwx  1 cdrom 22, 0 Nov 17 16:41 /dev/hdc
but that did not fix it.
ls -alg /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3 Nov 17 16:41 /dev/cdrom -> hdc

> What does "/sbin/cdrom_id /dev/hdc" report?
ID_CDROM=1
ID_CDROM_MRW=1
ID_CDROM_MRW_W=1
ID_CDROM_RAM=1


I also get an additional error message from kaffeine now:
xine Error -Kaffeine Player
"No plugin found to handle this resource (dvd:/)
Details
xine: cannot fine input plugin for MRL (dvd:/)
xine: input plugin cannot open MRL (dvd:/)
xine: found input plugin :DVD Navigator
demux_avi; invalid avi chunk "demux_avi; invalid avi chunk...."

> You can also try setting udev_log=7 in /etc/udev/udev.conf, run
> udevstart,

OK
> and take a look at the messages in /var/log/messages to see
> what devices udev is seeing, what rules it is matching for those, and
> what devices and links it is creating.
Hum, /var/log/messages does not exist. Lots of specific log files
are in /var/log

Which startup script do I edit to start logging to /var/log/messages?


> > likewise video is missing:
> > ls -alg /dev/video
> > ls: /dev/video: No such file or directory
> The default rules for udev (in /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules) makes
> framebuffer devices in /dev/fb/, with symlinks at /dev/fbX.  The only
> 'video' devices are for capture cards, and are created as
> /dev/v4l/videoX, with symlinks as /dev/videoX.  What device are you
> expecting at /dev/video?

None really, I was just looking at a portable, with an onboard usb cam
built into the screen case and it had the video drivers. I do think
I enabled v4l in the kernel on that one. Let's just ignore it for
now, as the frame grabber card that was in the amd system with the
dvd problem was moved to another system a couple of months ago.

James

--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: udev: lost dvd

Bugzilla from bigfish@asmallpond.org
On 11/17/05, James <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Richard Fish <bigfish <at> asmallpond.org> writes:
>
> > Does /dev/hdc exist?  If so, what are the permissions there?  What
> > about /dev/cdrom?
> Initially:
> brw-rw----  1 cdrom 22, 0 Nov 17 16:41 /dev/hdc
> so I change it to 777
> brwxrwxrwx  1 cdrom 22, 0 Nov 17 16:41 /dev/hdc
> but that did not fix it.
> ls -alg /dev/cdrom
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3 Nov 17 16:41 /dev/cdrom -> hdc

Rather than changing the permissions, a better plan is to add any
users that should be able to access cdrom/dvd devices to the cdrom
group.

>
> > What does "/sbin/cdrom_id /dev/hdc" report?
> ID_CDROM=1
> ID_CDROM_MRW=1
> ID_CDROM_MRW_W=1
> ID_CDROM_RAM=1
>

Ok, this is why you have no /dev/dvd device.  A DVD reader should also
report ID_CDROM_DVD=1, and a burner will report ID_CDROM_DVD_R=1.

The /sbin/cdrom_id program is a part of udev, and is used by udev to
determine what symlinks to create.  So as I see it, you have two
choices:

1. Try upgrading to a more recent version of udev.  The current ~x86
version is 073.

2. Write a custom rule for your device, and add it to
/etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules.  Something like this should do the
trick:

KERNEL=="hdc", NAME="%k", GROUP="cdrom", ACTION=="add",
SYMLINK+="_dvd%e", IMPORT="/sbin/cdrom_id --export $tempnode"

> Hum, /var/log/messages does not exist. Lots of specific log files
> are in /var/log
>
> Which startup script do I edit to start logging to /var/log/messages?

Actually, it depends upon what logger you have merged....I use
syslog-ng, configured so that my kernel and other logs go to
/var/log/messages.  Your messages may go somewhere else...

-Richard

--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: udev: lost dvd

Bugzilla from bigfish@asmallpond.org
On 11/17/05, Richard Fish <[hidden email]> wrote:
> KERNEL=="hdc", NAME="%k", GROUP="cdrom", ACTION=="add",
> SYMLINK+="_dvd%e", IMPORT="/sbin/cdrom_id --export $tempnode"

Ok, bad form to reply to myself, but the above should say:

SYMLINK+="dvd%e"

-Richard

--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: udev: lost dvd

James-2
In reply to this post by Bugzilla from bigfish@asmallpond.org
Richard Fish <bigfish <at> asmallpond.org> writes:



> Rather than changing the permissions, a better plan is to add any
> users that should be able to access cdrom/dvd devices to the cdrom
> group.

In /etc/group it has been like this for some time:
cdrom::19:root,james
video::27:root,james


> > What does "/sbin/cdrom_id /dev/hdc" report?
> > ID_CDROM=1
> > ID_CDROM_MRW=1
> > ID_CDROM_MRW_W=1
> > ID_CDROM_RAM=1

> Ok, this is why you have no /dev/dvd device.  A DVD reader should also
> report ID_CDROM_DVD=1, and a burner will report ID_CDROM_DVD_R=1.

> The /sbin/cdrom_id program is a part of udev, and is used by udev to
> determine what symlinks to create.  So as I see it, you have two
> choices:
> 1. Try upgrading to a more recent version of udev.  The current ~x86
> version is 073.
Tried this first, (added ~x86 to packages.keywords and emerged udev)
Did not work. This look reasonable so I'll stay on version 073 of udev
for

> 2. Write a custom rule for your device, and add it to
> /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules.  Something like this should do the
> trick:
OK, this file does not exist, only:
-rw-r--r--  1 root root    54 Sep 14 10:38 30-svgalib.rules
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 11492 Nov 17 18:31 50-udev.rules

so I created it:
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   120 Nov 17 18:47 10-local.rules

> KERNEL=="hdc", NAME="%k", GROUP="cdrom", ACTION=="add",
> SYMLINK+="_dvd%e", IMPORT="/sbin/cdrom_id --export $tempnode"
Now:
cat /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules
KERNEL=="hdc", NAME="%k", GROUP="cdrom", ACTION=="add",
SYMLINK+="dvd%e", IMPORT="/sbin/cdrom_id --export $tempnode"


> > Which startup script do I edit to start logging to /var/log/messages?

> Actually, it depends upon what logger you have merged....I use
> syslog-ng, configured so that my kernel and other logs go to
> /var/log/messages.  Your messages may go somewhere else...

vixie-cron

I can swith if you think it's necessary to debug this problem?

James





--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: udev: lost dvd

Bugzilla from bigfish@asmallpond.org
On 11/17/05, James <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Richard Fish <bigfish <at> asmallpond.org> writes:
> > 1. Try upgrading to a more recent version of udev.  The current ~x86
> > version is 073.
> Tried this first, (added ~x86 to packages.keywords and emerged udev)
> Did not work. This look reasonable so I'll stay on version 073 of udev
> for

Ok, I would also suggest filing a bug report against udev on
bugs.gentoo.org, with the model of your DVD drive, and the output of
the cdrom_id

> Now:
> cat /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules
> KERNEL=="hdc", NAME="%k", GROUP="cdrom", ACTION=="add",
> SYMLINK+="dvd%e", IMPORT="/sbin/cdrom_id --export $tempnode"

Is this one line or two?  It should be a single line.

> > > Which startup script do I edit to start logging to /var/log/messages?
>
> I can swith if you think it's necessary to debug this problem?

Nope, not necessary for now I think...

-Richard

--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: udev: lost dvd

James-2
In reply to this post by James-2
James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> writes:



> > 2. Write a custom rule for your device, and add it to
> > /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules.  Something like this should do the
> > trick:
> OK, this file does not exist, only:
> -rw-r--r--  1 root root    54 Sep 14 10:38 30-svgalib.rules
> -rw-r--r--  1 root root 11492 Nov 17 18:31 50-udev.rules

> so I created it:
> -rw-r--r--  1 root root   120 Nov 17 18:47 10-local.rules

> > KERNEL=="hdc", NAME="%k", GROUP="cdrom", ACTION=="add",
> > SYMLINK+="_dvd%e", IMPORT="/sbin/cdrom_id --export $tempnode"

> cat /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules
> KERNEL=="hdc", NAME="%k", GROUP="cdrom", ACTION=="add",
> SYMLINK+="dvd%e", IMPORT="/sbin/cdrom_id --export $tempnode"

I tried it with this line a 2 lines in the file
/etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules
and as a single line.

cat /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules
KERNEL=="hdc", NAME="%k", GROUP="cdrom", ACTION=="add", SYMLINK+="dvd%e",
IMPORT="/sbin/cdrom_id --export $tempnode"


Neither way workd and I get the  same error messages from kaffeine as before?

I guess it's time to remove vixie-cron and emerge 'syslog-ng' ?

--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: udev: lost dvd

Bugzilla from bigfish@asmallpond.org
On 11/17/05, James <[hidden email]> wrote:
> James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> writes:
> I tried it with this line a 2 lines in the file
> /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules
> and as a single line.

It should definitely be a single line.  And you will want to either
reboot or run udevstart afterwards.   After this, does /dev/dvd exist?
(ls -l /dev/dvd).

> I guess it's time to remove vixie-cron and emerge 'syslog-ng' ?

Actually, that would be bad.  Vixie-cron is a process scheduler, not a
system logger, although it also creates log files in /var/log.

The system loggers available in portage are:

app-admin/sdsc-syslog
app-admin/syslog-ng
app-admin/sysklogd
app-admin/socklog
app-admin/metalog

If you don't have one of the above installed, then syslog-ng is as good as any.

To find out where your messages are going, try:

grep -r "Kernel command line" /var/log/*

-Richard

--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: udev: lost dvd

James-2
In reply to this post by Bugzilla from bigfish@asmallpond.org
Richard Fish <bigfish <at> asmallpond.org> writes:


> Ok, I would also suggest filing a bug report against udev on
> bugs.gentoo.org, with the model of your DVD drive, and the output of
> the cdrom_id

Ok I'll file the bug report.
Any recommendations on a DVDrw that has full linux support?
How do I browse the list of supported DVDr and DVDrw devices?

> > cat /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules
> > KERNEL=="hdc", NAME="%k", GROUP="cdrom", ACTION=="add",
> > SYMLINK+="dvd%e", IMPORT="/sbin/cdrom_id --export $tempnode"

> Is this one line or two?  It should be a single line.

I tried it as 2 lines and a single line, both with the same error messages.

Thanks for the help!

James






--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: udev: lost dvd

James-2
In reply to this post by Bugzilla from bigfish@asmallpond.org
Richard Fish <bigfish <at> asmallpond.org> writes:


> It should definitely be a single line.  And you will want to either
> reboot or run udevstart afterwards.   After this, does /dev/dvd exist?
> (ls -l /dev/dvd).

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3 Nov 17 19:01 /dev/dvd -> hdc


> The system loggers available in portage are:

> app-admin/sdsc-syslog
> app-admin/syslog-ng
> app-admin/sysklogd
> app-admin/socklog
> app-admin/metalog

> If you don't have one of the above installed, then syslog-ng is as good as any.
 
OK I emerge syslog-ng


> To find out where your messages are going, try:
> grep -r "Kernel command line" /var/log/*

/var/log/dmesg:Kernel command line: root=/dev/hda1 snd-via82xx.dxs_support=2

James

--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: udev: lost dvd

Bugzilla from bigfish@asmallpond.org
On 11/17/05, James <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3 Nov 17 19:01 /dev/dvd -> hdc

Ok, so everything is fine...but you say vlc and kaffeine still don't
work?  Hold on...googling...

Um, the Samsung SC-152G is a CD-ROM drive, not a DVD drive.  So udev
and cdrom_id are doing the right things....no bug here.

You'll need to buy a DVD drive if you want to watch DVDs.  Any ATAPI
DVD device should do, but Philips and Sony are probably the best.

-Richard

--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: udev: lost dvd

James-2
Richard Fish <bigfish <at> asmallpond.org> writes:


> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3 Nov 17 19:01 /dev/dvd -> hdc
 
> Ok, so everything is fine...but you say vlc and kaffeine still don't
> work?  Hold on...googling...

> Um, the Samsung SC-152G is a CD-ROM drive, not a DVD drive.  So udev
> and cdrom_id are doing the right things....no bug here.

dmesg says:
hdc: SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-152G, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

> You'll need to buy a DVD drive if you want to watch DVDs.  Any ATAPI
> DVD device should do, but Philips and Sony are probably the best.


I going to purchase either a DVDrom or a DVDrw tomorrow and test it
out

Thanks for all the help.

James



--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: udev: lost dvd

Uwe Thiem
In reply to this post by James-2
On 18 November 2005 02:00, James wrote:
> Richard Fish <bigfish <at> asmallpond.org> writes:
> > Ok, I would also suggest filing a bug report against udev on
> > bugs.gentoo.org, with the model of your DVD drive, and the output of
> > the cdrom_id
>
> Ok I'll file the bug report.
> Any recommendations on a DVDrw that has full linux support?
> How do I browse the list of supported DVDr and DVDrw devices?

I am moe than happy with my "LG 16X Super Multi DVD/CD Rewriter".

Uwe

--
95% of all programmers rate themselves among the top 5% of all software
developers. - Linus Torvalds

http://www.uwix.iway.na (last updated: 20.06.2004)
--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: udev: lost dvd

Neil Bothwick
In reply to this post by James-2
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 00:00:38 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:

> Any recommendations on a DVDrw that has full linux support?

They are standard ATAPI devices, so all should work. I am happy with my
two NEC units. I used to use Pioneer but had three fail, one a couple of
days after buying it and another a couple of days after the guarantee
expired, so I don't bother with them any more.


--
Neil Bothwick

Tagteam: A bunch of people thinking up taglines.

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: udev: lost dvd

James-2
Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:


> > Any recommendations on a DVDrw that has full linux support?

> They are standard ATAPI devices, so all should work. I am happy with my
> two NEC units.


Do the (2) layer NEC devices, such as the NEC ND-3540A work on linux?

http://www.sw.nec.co.jp/products/optical/en/ND-3540A/

http://www.ezbuyclub.com/EzBuyClub/
WebStore/a.asp?FromCode=000001001003005003&ItemCode=DW-NECND3540BK


James

--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: udev: lost dvd

Neil Bothwick
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:19:58 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:

> Do the (2) layer NEC devices, such as the NEC ND-3540A work on linux?

It works, whether it works in DL mode I have no idea as I haven't tried
it. DL discs are so expensive. Is there anything special about the way DL
discs are written, or does the drive recognise the medium and write
accordingly?


--
Neil Bothwick

Q. Why do women have orgasms?
A: It gives them one extra reason to moan.

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: udev: lost dvd

James-2
Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:


> > Do the (2) layer NEC devices, such as the NEC ND-3540A work on linux?
 
> It works, whether it works in DL mode I have no idea as I haven't tried
> it. DL discs are so expensive. Is there anything special about the way DL
> discs are written, or does the drive recognise the medium and write
> accordingly?

I have no clue. Oh well at 42 dollars, I
ordered one. If it does dual layer writing,
then cool, but I'd suspect dual layer reading
is standard now for movie DVDs.

Thanks for the recommendation on NEC.


James

 




--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: udev: lost dvd

Holly Bostick
In reply to this post by Neil Bothwick
Neil Bothwick schreef:

> On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:19:58 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
>
>
>> Do the (2) layer NEC devices, such as the NEC ND-3540A work on
>> linux?
>
>
> It works, whether it works in DL mode I have no idea as I haven't
> tried it. DL discs are so expensive. Is there anything special about
> the way DL discs are written, or does the drive recognise the medium
> and write accordingly?
>
>

LOL, Neil-- I have a NEC 2510A and I have the same problem-- never tried
DL, because the disks are too expensive (and I don't really have any
desperate need to burn a DL disk to make it worth my while).

But I have no reason to suspect that it *wouldn't* work, insofar as the
drive otherwise works correctly. I suppose that so long as K3b is
capable of doing whatever needs to be done to manage a DL disk, then
burning one should work fine as well. However, I have not investigated
whether the common burning tools are capable of doing whatever needs to
be done, and in fact, I don't know precisely what needs to be done
different (if anything does), and I would like to know the answer to
your question as well.

On the other hand, I have great faith in K3b, and I do think that when I
need it to burn DL disks, it most likely won't bat an eye.

Holly
--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: udev: lost dvd

Abhay Kedia
On Friday 18 Nov 2005 11:39 pm, Holly Bostick wrote:
> I have not investigated
> whether the common burning tools are capable of doing whatever needs to
> be done, and in fact, I don't know precisely what needs to be done
> different (if anything does), and I would like to know the answer to
> your question as well.
I had read this article about DL DVDs sometime ago
http://www.burnworld.com/howto/articles/intro-to-dual-layer.htm
Here are two snippets
--------
"The two layers represent one contiguous address stream for recording as a
Video Disc, a DVD-ROM, or even a packet recorded disc."

"Because double layer recordable discs are basically one contiguous stream of
block addresses, it’s not very difficult for software makers to make their
disc mastering software compatible with dual layer drives and media, as least
where recording data is concerned."
--------
So there is not much that needs to be done.

> On the other hand, I have great faith in K3b, and I do think that when I
> need it to burn DL disks, it most likely won't bat an eye.
From K3B's main page
---------
I want to give special thanks to Lacie. They provided a USB DVD burner, a
Firewire 8x DVD burner, and a DVD+R Double Layer burner along with plenty of
media for testing so I can integrate DVD+R DL burning into K3b. It is
complete and works since K3b 0.11.13.
---------

Abhay

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
12