udev not getting unmounted at shutdown/reboot

udev not getting unmounted at shutdown/reboot

Abhay Kedia
Hello,

A few days ago my system hung and I had to do a reboot by pressing the power
button. Since then I get the following message while shutdown/reboots

Remounting remaining filesystems readonly [!!]
umount : udev busy - remounted read-only
umount : /: device is busy
umount : /: device is busy
umount : /: device is busy
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):

If I don't do anything then the system reboots in approximately 5 seconds but
on reboot it says that "/" filesystem is NOT clean. I boot into Slackware (my
alternate distro) and during boot it replays over 100 transactions on Gentoo
partition. It is a kind of routine. I shutdown/reboot, get the above
mentioned message and then a "filesystem is NOT clean" on next boot. How can
I get rid of this annoyance? Can this error harm my install any way?

Versions I am currently using
sys-fs/udev-070-r1
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.14-r2

I have tried re-emerging udev but it did not help.
Googling did not bring any results either.

Any ideas to solved this problem will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Abhay

Re: udev not getting unmounted at shutdown/reboot

Bugzilla from bigfish@asmallpond.org
On 11/17/05, abhay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> A few days ago my system hung and I had to do a reboot by pressing the power
> button. Since then I get the following message while shutdown/reboots
>
> Remounting remaining filesystems readonly [!!]
> umount : udev busy - remounted read-only
> umount : /: device is busy
> umount : /: device is busy
> umount : /: device is busy
> Give root password for maintenance
> (or type Control-D to continue):

Try doing an "init 1", "umount -a", then "lsof /dev".  Any processes
with a device node still open should show up there.

-Richard

On Friday 18 Nov 2005 10:40 am, Richard Fish wrote:
> Try doing an "init 1", "umount -a", then "lsof /dev".  Any processes
> with a device node still open should show up there.
>
> -Richard
That did it. One of the programs I am starting in local.start was getting
hanged at shutdown/reboot and didn't allow umounting of /dev. killall
<program> in local.stop worked.
Thanks a lot.

Abhay