where can i find more information about development?

where can i find more information about development?

Bugzilla from romanempire@gmail.com
Hello,

   Sorry to write to this clearly inactive list, but does anyone know
where I can learn more about the development status of Gentoo/FreeBSD?
 I'd really like to use Gentoo + FreeBSD 7.  I discovered that drizzt
made an overlay to work with an older version of FreeBSD 7.  Has any
more work been done in this direction?
   Confession: I really want ZFS.

Cheers,
Roman Garnett

Re: where can i find more information about development?

Ignacio Arqué-Latour
Roman,
You can chat with the developers at the irc and ask them what ever you
want to know, and even become a dev for this project if you like it.
With your irc client go to:
server: irc.freenode.net
channel: #gentoo-bsd

--TS1k

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 9:48 AM, Roman Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   Sorry to write to this clearly inactive list, but does anyone know
> where I can learn more about the development status of Gentoo/FreeBSD?
>  I'd really like to use Gentoo + FreeBSD 7.  I discovered that drizzt
> made an overlay to work with an older version of FreeBSD 7.  Has any
> more work been done in this direction?
>   Confession: I really want ZFS.
>
> Cheers,
> Roman Garnett

Re: where can i find more information about development?

Joe Peterson-3
Roman Garnett wrote:
>    Sorry to write to this clearly inactive list, but does anyone know
> where I can learn more about the development status of Gentoo/FreeBSD?
>  I'd really like to use Gentoo + FreeBSD 7.  I discovered that drizzt
> made an overlay to work with an older version of FreeBSD 7.  Has any
> more work been done in this direction?
>    Confession: I really want ZFS.

Ah, another ZFS fan!  :)

First, yep, I agree that going to IRC (freenode, channel #gentoo-bsd) is the
best way.  I found the same thing when I got involved in the project: this
list looked fairly dead, but the IRC channel was active.

I got involved in Gentoo/FreeBSD for the same reason (liking Gentoo's way of
doing things, but wanting to play with BSD).  In fact, I became a Gentoo
developer, intially for that project.  Since then, I ran into some
showstoppers on BSD, causing me to need to wipe out my g/fbsd installations
and load Gentoo Linux.  As a result, I became almost completely inactive on
the g/fbsd project, and I've moved my Gentoo development focus elsewhere for
now :(.

After some discussions at work about silent corruption of large data (we are
thinking of installing petabytes of storage), I became interested in the
problem, and I went back and tried ZFS on fbsd 7.0.  Pretty cool, but I ran
into some ATA DMA issues that are still mysteries in the FreeBSD world, it
seems (at least last I heard) as well as some scheduler/mouse jerkiness issues
that caused me, again, to have to abandon FreeBSD for the time being.

Now I am actively using "btrfs" - another up and coming filesystem that does
checksumming for data integrity.

Anyway, sorry for the long story - if you want to read more on my thoughts on
ZFS and btrfs, see my blog:

        http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/lavajoe/

Good luck with your endeavors!

                                        -Joe