xorg 1.20.x not working

Bill Kenworthy
Hi,

I have a problem with any of the xorg-server 1.20.x series where I can
start simple apps like xterm but more complexapps like firefox and
thunderbird (for example) hang X with no erros in dmessage, log,
Xorg.0.log, .xsession-errors etc.  The mouse can move but no clicks are
accepted.  I have also recently run emerge -ep  with the profile upgrade
(using 1.19 as I needed to use the system at the time) and a previous
rebuild of almost everything with 1.20 installed with no change.

The system has been running fine on xorg versions up to 1.19 for over a
year and I can wind it back to 1.19 and everything works again.

Any hints on how to get 1.20 working would be appreciated as 1.19 is
about to be removed from the tree.

BillK

[ebuild   R    ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.20.3:0/1.20.3::olympus  USE="dmx
glamor ipv6 suid udev xorg

uid=1000(wdk) gid=1000(wdk)
groups=1000(wdk),10(wheel),18(audio),27(video),100(users),249(input),102(plugdev),996(davfs2)

bunyip ~ # getfacl /dev/dri/card0
# file: dev/dri/card0
# owner: root
# group: video
user::rw-
user:wdk:rw-
group::rw-
mask::rw-
other::---

bunyip ~ #

Re: xorg 1.20.x not working

Andrew Savchenko
On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 15:18:37 +0800 Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with any of the xorg-server 1.20.x series where I can
> start simple apps like xterm but more complexapps like firefox and
> thunderbird (for example) hang X with no erros in dmessage, log,
> Xorg.0.log, .xsession-errors etc.  The mouse can move but no clicks are
> accepted.  I have also recently run emerge -ep  with the profile upgrade
> (using 1.19 as I needed to use the system at the time) and a previous
> rebuild of almost everything with 1.20 installed with no change.

You need to rebuild all x11-drivers after xorg update. Input
problems you are describing are likely caused by modules built for
older xorg version.

Try:
 # emerge -av $(eix -IC x11-drivers --only-names)

Best regards,
Andrew Savchenko

Re: xorg 1.20.x not working

Dale-46
Andrew Savchenko wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 15:18:37 +0800 Bill Kenworthy wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a problem with any of the xorg-server 1.20.x series where I can
>> start simple apps like xterm but more complexapps like firefox and
>> thunderbird (for example) hang X with no erros in dmessage, log,
>> Xorg.0.log, .xsession-errors etc.  The mouse can move but no clicks are
>> accepted.  I have also recently run emerge -ep  with the profile upgrade
>> (using 1.19 as I needed to use the system at the time) and a previous
>> rebuild of almost everything with 1.20 installed with no change.
> You need to rebuild all x11-drivers after xorg update. Input
> problems you are describing are likely caused by modules built for
> older xorg version.
>
> Try:
>  # emerge -av $(eix -IC x11-drivers --only-names)
>
> Best regards,
> Andrew Savchenko

Isn't one of these supposed to do that?

emerge @module-rebuild

emerge @x11-module-rebuild

I think the top one is the correct one.

Dale

:-)  :-)

Re: xorg 1.20.x not working

Andrew Savchenko
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 10:21:21 -0600 Dale wrote:

> Andrew Savchenko wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 15:18:37 +0800 Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have a problem with any of the xorg-server 1.20.x series where I can
> >> start simple apps like xterm but more complexapps like firefox and
> >> thunderbird (for example) hang X with no erros in dmessage, log,
> >> Xorg.0.log, .xsession-errors etc.  The mouse can move but no clicks are
> >> accepted.  I have also recently run emerge -ep  with the profile upgrade
> >> (using 1.19 as I needed to use the system at the time) and a previous
> >> rebuild of almost everything with 1.20 installed with no change.
> > You need to rebuild all x11-drivers after xorg update. Input
> > problems you are describing are likely caused by modules built for
> > older xorg version.
> >
> > Try:
> >  # emerge -av $(eix -IC x11-drivers --only-names)
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Andrew Savchenko
>
> Isn't one of these supposed to do that?
>
> emerge @module-rebuild
>
> emerge @x11-module-rebuild
>
> I think the top one is the correct one.
The top one will rebuild kernel modules. So it has nothing to do
with xorg. The bottom one is correct, I just forgot about it.

Best regards,
Andrew Savchenko

Re: xorg 1.20.x not working

John Covici
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 11:57:27 -0500,
Andrew Savchenko wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 10:21:21 -0600 Dale wrote:
> > Andrew Savchenko wrote:

> > > You need to rebuild all x11-drivers after xorg update. Input
> > > problems you are describing are likely caused by modules built for
> > > older xorg version.
> > >
> > > Try:
> > >  # emerge -av $(eix -IC x11-drivers --only-names)
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Andrew Savchenko
> >
> > Isn't one of these supposed to do that?
> >
> > emerge @module-rebuild
> >
> > emerge @x11-module-rebuild
> >
> > I think the top one is the correct one.
>
> The top one will rebuild kernel modules. So it has nothing to do
> with xorg. The bottom one is correct, I just forgot about it.

I have much worse problems, whenever I start gdm, the screen shows the
same content  as the virtual console where I started gdm.  Gdm is
running, x-server is running, but the screen is not showing it.  I did
compile all the drivers, so this is very strange.

--
Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
How do

         John Covici wb2una

Re: xorg 1.20.x not working

Bill Kenworthy

On 11/2/19 3:51 am, John Covici wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 11:57:27 -0500,
> Andrew Savchenko wrote:
>> [1  <text/plain; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]

>>> Isn't one of these supposed to do that?
>>>
>>> emerge @module-rebuild
>>>
>>> emerge @x11-module-rebuild
>>>
>>> I think the top one is the correct one.
>> The top one will rebuild kernel modules. So it has nothing to do
>> with xorg. The bottom one is correct, I just forgot about it.
> I have much worse problems, whenever I start gdm, the screen shows the
> same content  as the virtual console where I started gdm.  Gdm is
> running, x-server is running, but the screen is not showing it.  I did
> compile all the drivers, so this is very strange.

Another me too ... same problem, same symptoms, complete rebuild
including modules.  After hours of work I have had to mask 1.20 so I can
have a working system.

BillK

Re: xorg 1.20.x not working

Alan Grimes
Bill Kenworthy wrote:

> Another me too ... same problem, same symptoms, complete rebuild
> including modules.  After hours of work I have had to mask 1.20 so I can
> have a working system.
>

> BillK

What universe have I stumbled into? This is actually working Just
Fine(tm) on my machine...

[   154.407]
X.Org X Server 1.20.3
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
[   154.408] Build Operating System: Linux 4.17.19 x86_64 Gentoo
[   154.408] Current Operating System: Linux tortoise 4.18.20 #1 SMP Fri
Jan 25 09:51:34 EST 2019 x86_64
[   154.408] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-4.18.20
root=/dev/sda3 ro
[   154.408] Build Date: 25 January 2019  03:04:39AM
[   154.409]

--
Please report bounces from this address to [hidden email]

Powers are not rights.