xorg.conf for Mac G4 mini

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

xorg.conf for Mac G4 mini

David Friedlander-2
Hello, all!

I'm having the damnedest time getting X to run on my Mac Mini 1.25Ghz  
(Radeon 9200 processor).  I've wasted a lot of time following various  
web instructions, but to no avail.  One issue, of course, is the right  
xorg.conf file.  Another one may be (in some people's opinion is)  
arguments to the Linux kernel/yaboot.

I see on this list that there has been some discussion on this  
subject.  However, the configuration files that apparently were once  
posted on web sites are no longer available.

I wonder if anyone who has done this would be willing to part with the  
sacred mysteries.

David

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xorg.conf for Mac G4 mini

David Gurvich-2
At one time, with kernel 2.22, I used Xorgautoconfig and it was good.  A
recent attempt to get to a newer kernel and xorg has shown me that I
know nothing.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xorg.conf for Mac G4 mini

David Friedlander-2
This is too bad.  Gentoo is the logical choice for old hardware, since  
the source
code compilation allows the users to keep up with the latest releases  
and bug
fixes, even though the distribution may not be under active development.



On Jul 16, 2009, at 12:04 AM, David Gurvich wrote:

> At one time, with kernel 2.22, I used Xorgautoconfig and it was  
> good.  A
> recent attempt to get to a newer kernel and xorg has shown me that I
> know nothing.
>
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xorg.conf for Mac G4 mini

WR-3
On Thursday 16 July 2009 6:27:23 am David Friedlander wrote:
> This is too bad.  Gentoo is the logical choice for old hardware, since  
> the source
> code compilation allows the users to keep up with the latest releases  
> and bug
> fixes, even though the distribution may not be under active development.


Your xorg conf problem has little to do with Gentoo. It is an xorg conf  issue.
*Manual xorg configuration is not necessarily easy* on any distro, unless it "just works".
I would not use the kernel boot options initially (although that may be required, it
usually isn't).

Choosing Gentoo means you feel confident with manual configuration, or that you
are incredibly persistent and resourceful. The odds of google having your answer are extremely high.
Ubuntu forums are an excellent place to look. The odds of mini not working are close to 0.
This is actually not a very good place to ask, the traffic is extremely low - fortunately xorg conf
is not arch or distro specific so that should broaden your search horizon.

You will need the correct driver for your card 1st. Likely it will not be something
you compile into the kernel, but added with emerge. Nvidia drivers for instance, should not
be compiled into kernel on many cards.

You will also need to be able to look at and report the contents of your xorg error log.
That is your guide. (look in /var/log )
Also check on the xorg site for information, since it's really an "xorg" thing, more than a "Gentoo" thing.
Patience is your friend. First time around the block w manual xorg.conf can be difficult and frustrating. 2nd time too.

Perhaps this helps
http://www.freelists.org/post/slackintosh-users/Xorg-Mac-Mini-512-Radeon-9200,1

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xorg.conf for Mac G4 mini

Joseph Jezak
In reply to this post by David Friedlander-2
David Friedlander wrote:

> Hello, all!
>
> I'm having the damnedest time getting X to run on my Mac Mini 1.25Ghz
> (Radeon 9200 processor).  I've wasted a lot of time following various
> web instructions, but to no avail.  One issue, of course, is the right
> xorg.conf file.  Another one may be (in some people's opinion is)
> arguments to the Linux kernel/yaboot.
>
> I see on this list that there has been some discussion on this
> subject.  However, the configuration files that apparently were once
> posted on web sites are no longer available.
>
> I wonder if anyone who has done this would be willing to part with the
> sacred mysteries.
>
> David
>
To begin with, as directed in the Gentoo PPC FAQ, make sure that you've
set the correct framebuffer device. You can check which one you have set
by running Xorgautoconfig --dump. If you could paste that info into a
message, that would be helpful too. What exactly is the problem that
you're having? Most machines actually configure themselves automatically
now without an xorg.conf file.

-Joe

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xorg.conf for Mac G4 mini

Joseph Jezak
Joseph Jezak wrote:

> David Friedlander wrote:
>  
>> Hello, all!
>>
>> I'm having the damnedest time getting X to run on my Mac Mini 1.25Ghz
>> (Radeon 9200 processor).  I've wasted a lot of time following various
>> web instructions, but to no avail.  One issue, of course, is the right
>> xorg.conf file.  Another one may be (in some people's opinion is)
>> arguments to the Linux kernel/yaboot.
>>
>> I see on this list that there has been some discussion on this
>> subject.  However, the configuration files that apparently were once
>> posted on web sites are no longer available.
>>
>> I wonder if anyone who has done this would be willing to part with the
>> sacred mysteries.
>>
>> David
>>
>>    
> To begin with, as directed in the Gentoo PPC FAQ, make sure that you've
> set the correct framebuffer device. You can check which one you have set
> by running Xorgautoconfig --dump. If you could paste that info into a
> message, that would be helpful too. What exactly is the problem that
> you're having? Most machines actually configure themselves automatically
> now without an xorg.conf file.
>
> -Joe
>
>  
Haha, I can tell it's been a while since I've helped people with X
issues. :) The application you should be using for X issues is "xac"
now, which replaced Xorgautoconfig. I wrote both of them, you'd think
I'd be able to keep it straight...

-Joe

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xorg.conf for Mac G4 mini

David Friedlander-2
Hello, Joe and JR:

Thank to both of you for your help; it took me until now to find the  
time to once again find time to
fiddle with this problem.

The symptom is that the monitor gives a message that there's no signal  
and goes away.  Terminating X
with some combination :-) of shift keys and the delete key brings back  
a text terminal.  A very lengthy log
file gets generated, but to the best of my ability I can not find any  
indication of an error in it.

Checked the FAQ, but I'm not clear how to "set the correct framebuffer  
device" -- or what that might mean.

Probably my blindness, if you can direct me I'll be grateful.


Here's the output from xac:
-----------------------------------------
dfminigentoo ~ # xac --dump
Machine Name: PowerMac10,1
Video Cards Found:
  * ATI Radeon Yb - (0:16:0)
        Detected as: ATI Radeon Open Driver

Framebuffer Info:
        Accel ID: 38
        Name String: ATI Radeon Yb
        Depth PP: 8

EDID0:
        ID:  SNY5011
        SN:  16843009
        DT:  [31, 2000]
        EV:  (1, 2)
        VI:  {'serration_vsync': 0, 'blank_to_black': 0, 'sync_on_green': 1,  
'composite_sync': 1, 'video_level': 0, 'seperate_sync': 1, 'digital': 0}
        SZ:  (33, 24)
        GA:  2.2
        FS:  {'suspend': 1, 'gtf': 1, 'standby': 1, 'prefered_timing': 1,  
'rgb': 0, 'display_type': 1, 'active_off': 1}
        CC:  {'red_y': 0.33984375, 'red_x': 0.625, 'blue_y': 0.0703125,  
'blue_x': 0.1552734375, 'white_y': 0.2978515625, 'white_x':  
0.283203125, 'green_y': 0.599609375, 'green_x': 0.2802734375}
        ET:  [[720, 400, 70], [640, 480, 75], [640, 480, 67]]
        MD:  [['Detailed Timing', {'stereo': 0, 'vborder': 0, 'vimage_size':  
234, 'hsync_offset': 16, 'horizontal_active': 640,  
'horizontal_blanking': 160, 'vsync_pulse_width': 2, 'interlaced': 0,  
'pixel_clock': 54793, 'hborder': 0, 'vertical_blanking': 49,  
'digital_composite': 3, 'vertical_active': 400, 'vsync_offset': 12,  
'variant': 2, 'himage_size': 312, 'hsync_pulse_width': 96}], ['Range',  
{'v_max': 65, 'h_min': 30, 'h_max': 60, 'v_min': 50}], ['Name', 'SDM-
N50PS'], ['Serial', '0140495']]
        HE:  0
------------------------------------------------

I get something a bit more laconic from Xorgautoconfig as follows:
----------------------------------------
dfminigentoo ~ # Xorgautoconfig --dump
Dumping Debugging Information:
        Machine ID: PowerMac10,1

        EDID Tag: SNY5011
        H-Min: 30 H-Max: 60 V-Min: 50 V-Max: 60
        Card Dump:
                Framebuffer Id: ATI Radeon Yb
                Framebuffer Type: 38
                Framebuffer Depth: 16
---------------------------------------------


JR, Thanks for the link and advice, but it didn't get me any further.  
I used to do this configuration quite a bit, but in recent years it  
hasn't been necessary.

David



On Jul 16, 2009, at 11:32 AM, Joseph Jezak wrote:

> Joseph Jezak wrote:
>> David Friedlander wrote:
>>
>>> Hello, all!
>>>
>>> I'm having the damnedest time getting X to run on my Mac Mini  
>>> 1.25Ghz
>>> (Radeon 9200 processor).  I've wasted a lot of time following  
>>> various
>>> web instructions, but to no avail.  One issue, of course, is the  
>>> right
>>> xorg.conf file.  Another one may be (in some people's opinion is)
>>> arguments to the Linux kernel/yaboot.
>>>
>>> I see on this list that there has been some discussion on this
>>> subject.  However, the configuration files that apparently were once
>>> posted on web sites are no longer available.
>>>
>>> I wonder if anyone who has done this would be willing to part with  
>>> the
>>> sacred mysteries.
>>>
>>> David
>>>
>>>
>> To begin with, as directed in the Gentoo PPC FAQ, make sure that  
>> you've
>> set the correct framebuffer device. You can check which one you  
>> have set
>> by running Xorgautoconfig --dump. If you could paste that info into a
>> message, that would be helpful too. What exactly is the problem that
>> you're having? Most machines actually configure themselves  
>> automatically
>> now without an xorg.conf file.
>>
>> -Joe
>>
>>
> Haha, I can tell it's been a while since I've helped people with X
> issues. :) The application you should be using for X issues is "xac"
> now, which replaced Xorgautoconfig. I wrote both of them, you'd think
> I'd be able to keep it straight...
>
> -Joe
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xorg.conf for Mac G4 mini

Joseph Jezak
David Friedlander wrote:

> Hello, Joe and JR:
>
> Thank to both of you for your help; it took me until now to find the
> time to once again find time to
> fiddle with this problem.
>
> The symptom is that the monitor gives a message that there's no signal
> and goes away.  Terminating X
> with some combination :-) of shift keys and the delete key brings back
> a text terminal.  A very lengthy log
> file gets generated, but to the best of my ability I can not find any
> indication of an error in it.
>
> Checked the FAQ, but I'm not clear how to "set the correct framebuffer
> device" -- or what that might mean.
>
> Probably my blindness, if you can direct me I'll be grateful.
>
>
> Here's the output from xac:
> -----------------------------------------
> dfminigentoo ~ # xac --dump
> Machine Name: PowerMac10,1
> Video Cards Found:
>  * ATI Radeon Yb - (0:16:0)
>     Detected as: ATI Radeon Open Driver
>
> Framebuffer Info:
>     Accel ID: 38
>     Name String: ATI Radeon Yb
>     Depth PP: 8
>
> EDID0:
>     ID:  SNY5011
>     SN:  16843009
>     DT:  [31, 2000]
>     EV:  (1, 2)
>     VI:  {'serration_vsync': 0, 'blank_to_black': 0, 'sync_on_green':
> 1, 'composite_sync': 1, 'video_level': 0, 'seperate_sync': 1,
> 'digital': 0}
>     SZ:  (33, 24)
>     GA:  2.2
>     FS:  {'suspend': 1, 'gtf': 1, 'standby': 1, 'prefered_timing': 1,
> 'rgb': 0, 'display_type': 1, 'active_off': 1}
>     CC:  {'red_y': 0.33984375, 'red_x': 0.625, 'blue_y': 0.0703125,
> 'blue_x': 0.1552734375, 'white_y': 0.2978515625, 'white_x':
> 0.283203125, 'green_y': 0.599609375, 'green_x': 0.2802734375}
>     ET:  [[720, 400, 70], [640, 480, 75], [640, 480, 67]]
>     MD:  [['Detailed Timing', {'stereo': 0, 'vborder': 0,
> 'vimage_size': 234, 'hsync_offset': 16, 'horizontal_active': 640,
> 'horizontal_blanking': 160, 'vsync_pulse_width': 2, 'interlaced': 0,
> 'pixel_clock': 54793, 'hborder': 0, 'vertical_blanking': 49,
> 'digital_composite': 3, 'vertical_active': 400, 'vsync_offset': 12,
> 'variant': 2, 'himage_size': 312, 'hsync_pulse_width': 96}], ['Range',
> {'v_max': 65, 'h_min': 30, 'h_max': 60, 'v_min': 50}], ['Name',
> 'SDM-N50PS'], ['Serial', '0140495']]
>     HE:  0
Okay, this looks good. You are using the correct framebuffer driver (the
ATI Radeon driver and not the OpenFirmware FB driver, which won't work
for X) and it appears that your monitor is correctly responding with an
EDID for autodetection. Can you try generating an X config file with xac
and give that a try? If it doesn't work out of the box, try uncommenting
the "UseFBDev" option and try both "true" and "false", sometimes the
correct value is not autodetected by X.

-Joe

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xorg.conf for Mac G4 mini

David Friedlander-2
Hello, Joe,

The server doesn't start; stderr shows the following (captured with  
"xterm 2> test.log"
This is regardless of the setting of "UseFBDev"

Following this is the generated xorg.conf.  I see a strange "modeline"  
entry for 720x400 --
could that be the problem?  I believe that in the past I've deleted  
this and even tried to replace
it with a 1024x768 line, but truthfully I can't remember any more.

David

(I suspect the last 2 lines are generated when I press ctrl-c.)

------------------------------
xauth:  creating new authority file /home/david/.serverauth.25513

X.Org X Server 1.5.3
Release Date: 5 November 2008
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-gentoo-r3 ppc
Current Operating System: Linux dfminigentoo 2.6.24-gentoo-r3 #3 Sat  
Jul 4 09:52:08 EDT 2009 ppc
Build Date: 09 July 2009  08:25:07AM

        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Jul 20 07:57:28 2009
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"

(EE) Failed to load module "type1" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "freetype" (module does not exist, 0)
   XRANDR name: DVI-0
   Connector: DVI-I
   CRT2: INTERNAL_DAC1
   DFP1: INTERNAL_TMDS1
   DDC reg: 0x6c
   XRANDR name: S-video
   Connector: S-video
   TV1: INTERNAL_DAC2
   DDC reg: 0x0
finished output detect: 0
finished output detect: 1
finished all detect
before xf86InitialConfiguration
(EE) RADEON(0): Output DVI-0 enabled but has no modes
(EE) RADEON(0): No valid modes.
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found
giving up.
xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  unexpected signal 2.

--------------------------------
Here's the xorg.conf
-------------------------------
### This file was generated by xac v0.6_pre3

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier "XAC Configured"
        Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
        ### Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (which are concatenated
        ### together as well as specifying multiple comma-separated
        ### entries in one FontPath command (or both methods)
        ###
        ### For X Font Server support, uncomment this and comment the
        ### other FontPaths. (This is not required for most configurations)
        # FontPath "unix/:-1"
       
        FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi"
        FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/default/ghostscript"
        FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/corefonts"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load "extmod"
        Load "dbe"
        Load "record"
        Load "glx"
        Load "type1"
        Load "freetype"
        Load "dri"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option "blank time" "10" # 10 Minutes
        Option "standby time" "20" # 20 Minutes
        Option "suspend time" "30" # 30Minutes
        Option "off time" "60" # 60Minutes
        ### Uncomment so X doesn't fail when no mouse is available
        # Option "AllowMouseOpenFail" "true"
        ### Enable this option if X should not change resolutions
        ### This is useful if mode changing corrupts the X Server
        # Option "DisableVidModeExtensions" "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "Keyboard0"
        Driver "kbd"
        ### Check /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.lst for available models
        Option "XkbdModel" "pc105"
        ### Check /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/ for available layouts
        Option "XkbLayout" "us"
        Option "XkbOptions" "compose:rwin"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "Mouse0"
        Driver "mouse"
        Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option "Protocol" "auto"
       
        ### Set driver options:
        ### No options set!
       
        ### Unset driver options:
        ### No options unset!
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier "Card0"
        Driver "radeon"
        ### Configured ATI Radeon Yb at PCI Bus ID:
        # BusID "PCI:0:16:0"
       
        ### Set driver options:
        Option "EnablePageFlip" "true" # Increases Performance
        Option "MergedFB" "false" # Set to true if you want mirrored  
monitor output
       
        ### Unchanged, default driver options:
        # Option "AccelMethod" "XAA" # XAA or EXA, but EXA is unstable"
        # Option "AGPMode" "1" # Set to the AGP bus speed, 1 = 1x
        # Option "AGPFastWrite" "false" # Can be unstable
        # Option "BackingStore" "false" # Currently broken
        # Option "BIOSHotkeys" "false" # Enable this to switch outputs with  
a hotkey
        # Option "BusType" "auto" # Force Video Bus to PCI, AGP or PCIE
        # Option "MonitorLayout" "auto" # Set to TMDS for some Apple Flat  
Panels
        # Option "NoAccel" "false" # Disables ALL hardware acceleration
        # Option "RenderAccel" "true" # Hardware Render Acceleration"
        # Option "ReverseDDC" "false" # Some G5s require this
        # Option "SWcursor" "false"
         Option "UseFBDev" "false" # Try enabling this if it does not work
       
        ### See "man radeon" for more information and options
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "Monitor0"
        UseModes "Modes0"
        ModelName "SDM-N50PS"
        Option "DPMS"
        HorizSync 30-60
        VertRefresh 50-65
EndSection

Section "Modes"
        Identifier "Modes0"
        ### # 720x400 59.55 Hz (CVT) hsync: 24.83 kHz; pclk: 22.25 MHz
        Modeline "720x400"   22.25  720 744 808 896  400 403 413 417 -hsync  
+vsync
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device "Card0"
        Monitor "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth 24

        SubSection "Display"
                Depth 8
                Virtual 640 400
                Modes "640x400" "720x400" "640x480" "640x480"
        EndSubSection

        SubSection "Display"
                Depth 16
                Virtual 640 400
                Modes "640x400" "720x400" "640x480" "640x480"
        EndSubSection

        SubSection "Display"
                Depth 24
                Virtual 640 400
                Modes "640x400" "720x400" "640x480" "640x480"
        EndSubSection

EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Group 0
        Mode 0666
EndSection





On Jul 20, 2009, at 6:15 AM, Joseph Jezak wrote:

> David Friedlander wrote:
>> Hello, Joe and JR:
>>
>> Thank to both of you for your help; it took me until now to find the
>> time to once again find time to
>> fiddle with this problem.
>>
>> The symptom is that the monitor gives a message that there's no  
>> signal
>> and goes away.  Terminating X
>> with some combination :-) of shift keys and the delete key brings  
>> back
>> a text terminal.  A very lengthy log
>> file gets generated, but to the best of my ability I can not find any
>> indication of an error in it.
>>
>> Checked the FAQ, but I'm not clear how to "set the correct  
>> framebuffer
>> device" -- or what that might mean.
>>
>> Probably my blindness, if you can direct me I'll be grateful.
>>
>>
>> Here's the output from xac:
>> -----------------------------------------
>> dfminigentoo ~ # xac --dump
>> Machine Name: PowerMac10,1
>> Video Cards Found:
>> * ATI Radeon Yb - (0:16:0)
>>    Detected as: ATI Radeon Open Driver
>>
>> Framebuffer Info:
>>    Accel ID: 38
>>    Name String: ATI Radeon Yb
>>    Depth PP: 8
>>
>> EDID0:
>>    ID:  SNY5011
>>    SN:  16843009
>>    DT:  [31, 2000]
>>    EV:  (1, 2)
>>    VI:  {'serration_vsync': 0, 'blank_to_black': 0, 'sync_on_green':
>> 1, 'composite_sync': 1, 'video_level': 0, 'seperate_sync': 1,
>> 'digital': 0}
>>    SZ:  (33, 24)
>>    GA:  2.2
>>    FS:  {'suspend': 1, 'gtf': 1, 'standby': 1, 'prefered_timing': 1,
>> 'rgb': 0, 'display_type': 1, 'active_off': 1}
>>    CC:  {'red_y': 0.33984375, 'red_x': 0.625, 'blue_y': 0.0703125,
>> 'blue_x': 0.1552734375, 'white_y': 0.2978515625, 'white_x':
>> 0.283203125, 'green_y': 0.599609375, 'green_x': 0.2802734375}
>>    ET:  [[720, 400, 70], [640, 480, 75], [640, 480, 67]]
>>    MD:  [['Detailed Timing', {'stereo': 0, 'vborder': 0,
>> 'vimage_size': 234, 'hsync_offset': 16, 'horizontal_active': 640,
>> 'horizontal_blanking': 160, 'vsync_pulse_width': 2, 'interlaced': 0,
>> 'pixel_clock': 54793, 'hborder': 0, 'vertical_blanking': 49,
>> 'digital_composite': 3, 'vertical_active': 400, 'vsync_offset': 12,
>> 'variant': 2, 'himage_size': 312, 'hsync_pulse_width': 96}],  
>> ['Range',
>> {'v_max': 65, 'h_min': 30, 'h_max': 60, 'v_min': 50}], ['Name',
>> 'SDM-N50PS'], ['Serial', '0140495']]
>>    HE:  0
> Okay, this looks good. You are using the correct framebuffer driver  
> (the
> ATI Radeon driver and not the OpenFirmware FB driver, which won't work
> for X) and it appears that your monitor is correctly responding with  
> an
> EDID for autodetection. Can you try generating an X config file with  
> xac
> and give that a try? If it doesn't work out of the box, try  
> uncommenting
> the "UseFBDev" option and try both "true" and "false", sometimes the
> correct value is not autodetected by X.
>
> -Joe
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xorg.conf for Mac G4 mini

David Friedlander-2
Further to the last;

I modified the xorg.conf to include a modeline for 1024x768, and  
changed the
screen display sections to reference it.  I believe the server gets a  
little further now,
but still no soap.

Attached, the new xorg.conf and the error log (as before)

xorg.conf:

-----------------------

### This file was generated by xac v0.6_pre3

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier "XAC Configured"
        Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
        ### Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (which are concatenated
        ### together as well as specifying multiple comma-separated
        ### entries in one FontPath command (or both methods)
        ###
        ### For X Font Server support, uncomment this and comment the
        ### other FontPaths. (This is not required for most configurations)
        # FontPath "unix/:-1"
       
        FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi"
        FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/default/ghostscript"
        FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/corefonts"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load "extmod"
        Load "dbe"
        Load "record"
        Load "glx"
        Load "type1"
        Load "freetype"
        Load "dri"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option "blank time" "10" # 10 Minutes
        Option "standby time" "20" # 20 Minutes
        Option "suspend time" "30" # 30Minutes
        Option "off time" "60" # 60Minutes
        ### Uncomment so X doesn't fail when no mouse is available
        # Option "AllowMouseOpenFail" "true"
        ### Enable this option if X should not change resolutions
        ### This is useful if mode changing corrupts the X Server
        # Option "DisableVidModeExtensions" "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "Keyboard0"
        Driver "kbd"
        ### Check /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.lst for available models
        Option "XkbdModel" "pc105"
        ### Check /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/ for available layouts
        Option "XkbLayout" "us"
        Option "XkbOptions" "compose:rwin"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "Mouse0"
        Driver "mouse"
        Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option "Protocol" "auto"
       
        ### Set driver options:
        ### No options set!
       
        ### Unset driver options:
        ### No options unset!
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier "Card0"
        Driver "radeon"
        ### Configured ATI Radeon Yb at PCI Bus ID:
        # BusID "PCI:0:16:0"
       
        ### Set driver options:
        Option "EnablePageFlip" "true" # Increases Performance
        Option "MergedFB" "false" # Set to true if you want mirrored  
monitor output
       
        ### Unchanged, default driver options:
        # Option "AccelMethod" "XAA" # XAA or EXA, but EXA is unstable"
        # Option "AGPMode" "1" # Set to the AGP bus speed, 1 = 1x
        # Option "AGPFastWrite" "false" # Can be unstable
        # Option "BackingStore" "false" # Currently broken
        # Option "BIOSHotkeys" "false" # Enable this to switch outputs with  
a hotkey
        # Option "BusType" "auto" # Force Video Bus to PCI, AGP or PCIE
        # Option "MonitorLayout" "auto" # Set to TMDS for some Apple Flat  
Panels
        # Option "NoAccel" "false" # Disables ALL hardware acceleration
        # Option "RenderAccel" "true" # Hardware Render Acceleration"
        # Option "ReverseDDC" "false" # Some G5s require this
        # Option "SWcursor" "false"
         Option "UseFBDev" "false" # Try enabling this if it does not work
       
        ### See "man radeon" for more information and options
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "Monitor0"
        UseModes "Modes0"
        ModelName "SDM-N50PS"
        Option "DPMS"
        HorizSync 30-60
        VertRefresh 50-65
EndSection

Section "Modes"
        Identifier "Modes0"
        ### # 720x400 59.55 Hz (CVT) hsync: 24.83 kHz; pclk: 22.25 MHz
# Modeline "720x400"   22.25  720 744 808 896  400 403 413 417 -hsync  
+vsync
        Modeline "1024x768"   65.00  1024 1048 1184 1344  768 771 777 806 -
hsync -vsync
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device "Card0"
        Monitor "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth 24

        SubSection "Display"
                Depth 24
                Virtual 1024 768
                Modes "1024x768"
        EndSubSection

EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Group 0
        Mode 0666
EndSection

----------------------------------------

Error log:
-------------------------------------
xauth:  creating new authority file /home/david/.serverauth.25907

X.Org X Server 1.5.3
Release Date: 5 November 2008
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-gentoo-r3 ppc
Current Operating System: Linux dfminigentoo 2.6.24-gentoo-r3 #3 Sat  
Jul 4 09:52:08 EDT 2009 ppc
Build Date: 09 July 2009  08:25:07AM

        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Jul 20 08:24:45 2009
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"

(EE) Failed to load module "type1" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "freetype" (module does not exist, 0)
   XRANDR name: DVI-0
   Connector: DVI-I
   CRT2: INTERNAL_DAC1
   DFP1: INTERNAL_TMDS1
   DDC reg: 0x6c
   XRANDR name: S-video
   Connector: S-video
   TV1: INTERNAL_DAC2
   DDC reg: 0x0
finished output detect: 0
finished output detect: 1
finished all detect
before xf86InitialConfiguration
after xf86InitialConfiguration
Entering TV Save
Save TV timing tables
saveTimingTables: reading timing tables
TV Save done
disable primary dac
disable primary dac
disable TV
disable primary dac
init memmap
init common
init crtc1
init pll1
freq: 65000000
best_freq: 65000000
best_feedback_div: 65
best_ref_div: 9
best_post_div: 3
restore memmap
restore common
restore crtc1
restore pll1
finished PLL1
set RMX
set primary dac
enable primary dac
disable TV
SESSION_MANAGER=local/dfminigentoo:@/tmp/.ICE-unix/25934,unix/
dfminigentoo:/tmp/.ICE-unix/25934
1248092687.891995 Session manager: disconnected...
1248092688.023184 Session manager: disconnected...
1248092688.117781 Session manager: disconnected...
1248092688.221803 Session manager: disconnected...
1248092688.317778 Session manager: disconnected...
1248092688.419156 Session manager: disconnected...
1248092688.513810 Session manager: disconnected...
1248092688.617479 Session manager: disconnected...
1248092688.713813 Session manager: disconnected...
1248092688.815359 Session manager: disconnected...
1248092688.911995 Session manager: disconnected...

** (gnome-session:25934): CRITICAL **: dbus_g_proxy_add_signal:  
assertion `DBUS_IS_G_PROXY (proxy)' failed

** (gnome-session:25934): CRITICAL **: dbus_g_proxy_connect_signal:  
assertion `DBUS_IS_G_PROXY (proxy)' failed
Window manager warning: Failed to read saved session file /home/
david/.config/metacity/sessions/default0.ms: Failed to open file '/
home/david/.config/metacity/sessions/default0.ms': No such file or  
directory
Failed to play sound: Sound disabled
20/07/2009 08:24:51 Autoprobing TCP port
20/07/2009 08:24:51 Autoprobing selected port 5900
20/07/2009 08:24:51 Advertising authentication type: 'No  
Authentication' (1)
20/07/2009 08:24:51 Advertising security type: 'No Authentication' (1)

** (nautilus:26000): WARNING **: Unable to add monitor: Not supported

(gnome-panel:25991): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_widget_size_allocate():  
attempt to allocate widget with width -15 and height 23
The application 'gnome-session' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.
Window manager warning: Lost connection to the display ':0.0';
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the window manager.
xinit:  connection to X server lost.

waiting for X server to shut down disable primary dac
finished PLL2
finished PLL1
Entering Restore TV
Restore TV PLL
Restore TVHV
Restore TV Restarts
Restore Timing Tables
Restore TV standard
Leaving Restore TV


------------------------------------
Best,
David




On Jul 20, 2009, at 8:25 AM, David Friedlander wrote:

> Hello, Joe,
>
> The server doesn't start; stderr shows the following (captured with  
> "xterm 2> test.log"
> This is regardless of the setting of "UseFBDev"
>
> Following this is the generated xorg.conf.  I see a strange  
> "modeline" entry for 720x400 --
> could that be the problem?  I believe that in the past I've deleted  
> this and even tried to replace
> it with a 1024x768 line, but truthfully I can't remember any more.
>
> David
>
> (I suspect the last 2 lines are generated when I press ctrl-c.)
>
> ------------------------------
> xauth:  creating new authority file /home/david/.serverauth.25513
>
> X.Org X Server 1.5.3
> Release Date: 5 November 2008
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
> Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-gentoo-r3 ppc
> Current Operating System: Linux dfminigentoo 2.6.24-gentoo-r3 #3 Sat  
> Jul 4 09:52:08 EDT 2009 ppc
> Build Date: 09 July 2009  08:25:07AM
>
> Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
> to make sure that you have the latest version.
> Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
> (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
> (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
> (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Jul 20 07:57:28 2009
> (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
>
> (EE) Failed to load module "type1" (module does not exist, 0)
> (EE) Failed to load module "freetype" (module does not exist, 0)
>  XRANDR name: DVI-0
>  Connector: DVI-I
>  CRT2: INTERNAL_DAC1
>  DFP1: INTERNAL_TMDS1
>  DDC reg: 0x6c
>  XRANDR name: S-video
>  Connector: S-video
>  TV1: INTERNAL_DAC2
>  DDC reg: 0x0
> finished output detect: 0
> finished output detect: 1
> finished all detect
> before xf86InitialConfiguration
> (EE) RADEON(0): Output DVI-0 enabled but has no modes
> (EE) RADEON(0): No valid modes.
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found
> giving up.
> xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X server
> xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  unexpected signal 2.
>
> --------------------------------
> Here's the xorg.conf
> -------------------------------
> ### This file was generated by xac v0.6_pre3
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
> Identifier "XAC Configured"
> Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
> InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
> InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Files"
> ### Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (which are concatenated
> ### together as well as specifying multiple comma-separated
> ### entries in one FontPath command (or both methods)
> ###
> ### For X Font Server support, uncomment this and comment the
> ### other FontPaths. (This is not required for most configurations)
> # FontPath "unix/:-1"
>
> FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi"
> FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/default/ghostscript"
> FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/corefonts"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Module"
> Load "extmod"
> Load "dbe"
> Load "record"
> Load "glx"
> Load "type1"
> Load "freetype"
> Load "dri"
> EndSection
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
> Option "blank time" "10" # 10 Minutes
> Option "standby time" "20" # 20 Minutes
> Option "suspend time" "30" # 30Minutes
> Option "off time" "60" # 60Minutes
> ### Uncomment so X doesn't fail when no mouse is available
> # Option "AllowMouseOpenFail" "true"
> ### Enable this option if X should not change resolutions
> ### This is useful if mode changing corrupts the X Server
> # Option "DisableVidModeExtensions" "true"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Keyboard0"
> Driver "kbd"
> ### Check /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.lst for available models
> Option "XkbdModel" "pc105"
> ### Check /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/ for available layouts
> Option "XkbLayout" "us"
> Option "XkbOptions" "compose:rwin"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Mouse0"
> Driver "mouse"
> Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> Option "Protocol" "auto"
>
> ### Set driver options:
> ### No options set!
>
> ### Unset driver options:
> ### No options unset!
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Card0"
> Driver "radeon"
> ### Configured ATI Radeon Yb at PCI Bus ID:
> # BusID "PCI:0:16:0"
>
> ### Set driver options:
> Option "EnablePageFlip" "true" # Increases Performance
> Option "MergedFB" "false" # Set to true if you want mirrored  
> monitor output
>
> ### Unchanged, default driver options:
> # Option "AccelMethod" "XAA" # XAA or EXA, but EXA is unstable"
> # Option "AGPMode" "1" # Set to the AGP bus speed, 1 = 1x
> # Option "AGPFastWrite" "false" # Can be unstable
> # Option "BackingStore" "false" # Currently broken
> # Option "BIOSHotkeys" "false" # Enable this to switch outputs  
> with a hotkey
> # Option "BusType" "auto" # Force Video Bus to PCI, AGP or PCIE
> # Option "MonitorLayout" "auto" # Set to TMDS for some Apple Flat  
> Panels
> # Option "NoAccel" "false" # Disables ALL hardware acceleration
> # Option "RenderAccel" "true" # Hardware Render Acceleration"
> # Option "ReverseDDC" "false" # Some G5s require this
> # Option "SWcursor" "false"
> Option "UseFBDev" "false" # Try enabling this if it does not work
>
> ### See "man radeon" for more information and options
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "Monitor0"
> UseModes "Modes0"
> ModelName "SDM-N50PS"
> Option "DPMS"
> HorizSync 30-60
> VertRefresh 50-65
> EndSection
>
> Section "Modes"
> Identifier "Modes0"
> ### # 720x400 59.55 Hz (CVT) hsync: 24.83 kHz; pclk: 22.25 MHz
> Modeline "720x400"   22.25  720 744 808 896  400 403 413 417 -hsync  
> +vsync
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Screen0"
> Device "Card0"
> Monitor "Monitor0"
> DefaultDepth 24
>
> SubSection "Display"
> Depth 8
> Virtual 640 400
> Modes "640x400" "720x400" "640x480" "640x480"
> EndSubSection
>
> SubSection "Display"
> Depth 16
> Virtual 640 400
> Modes "640x400" "720x400" "640x480" "640x480"
> EndSubSection
>
> SubSection "Display"
> Depth 24
> Virtual 640 400
> Modes "640x400" "720x400" "640x480" "640x480"
> EndSubSection
>
> EndSection
>
> Section "DRI"
> Group 0
> Mode 0666
> EndSection
>
>
>
>
>
> On Jul 20, 2009, at 6:15 AM, Joseph Jezak wrote:
>
>> David Friedlander wrote:
>>> Hello, Joe and JR:
>>>
>>> Thank to both of you for your help; it took me until now to find the
>>> time to once again find time to
>>> fiddle with this problem.
>>>
>>> The symptom is that the monitor gives a message that there's no  
>>> signal
>>> and goes away.  Terminating X
>>> with some combination :-) of shift keys and the delete key brings  
>>> back
>>> a text terminal.  A very lengthy log
>>> file gets generated, but to the best of my ability I can not find  
>>> any
>>> indication of an error in it.
>>>
>>> Checked the FAQ, but I'm not clear how to "set the correct  
>>> framebuffer
>>> device" -- or what that might mean.
>>>
>>> Probably my blindness, if you can direct me I'll be grateful.
>>>
>>>
>>> Here's the output from xac:
>>> -----------------------------------------
>>> dfminigentoo ~ # xac --dump
>>> Machine Name: PowerMac10,1
>>> Video Cards Found:
>>> * ATI Radeon Yb - (0:16:0)
>>>   Detected as: ATI Radeon Open Driver
>>>
>>> Framebuffer Info:
>>>   Accel ID: 38
>>>   Name String: ATI Radeon Yb
>>>   Depth PP: 8
>>>
>>> EDID0:
>>>   ID:  SNY5011
>>>   SN:  16843009
>>>   DT:  [31, 2000]
>>>   EV:  (1, 2)
>>>   VI:  {'serration_vsync': 0, 'blank_to_black': 0, 'sync_on_green':
>>> 1, 'composite_sync': 1, 'video_level': 0, 'seperate_sync': 1,
>>> 'digital': 0}
>>>   SZ:  (33, 24)
>>>   GA:  2.2
>>>   FS:  {'suspend': 1, 'gtf': 1, 'standby': 1, 'prefered_timing': 1,
>>> 'rgb': 0, 'display_type': 1, 'active_off': 1}
>>>   CC:  {'red_y': 0.33984375, 'red_x': 0.625, 'blue_y': 0.0703125,
>>> 'blue_x': 0.1552734375, 'white_y': 0.2978515625, 'white_x':
>>> 0.283203125, 'green_y': 0.599609375, 'green_x': 0.2802734375}
>>>   ET:  [[720, 400, 70], [640, 480, 75], [640, 480, 67]]
>>>   MD:  [['Detailed Timing', {'stereo': 0, 'vborder': 0,
>>> 'vimage_size': 234, 'hsync_offset': 16, 'horizontal_active': 640,
>>> 'horizontal_blanking': 160, 'vsync_pulse_width': 2, 'interlaced': 0,
>>> 'pixel_clock': 54793, 'hborder': 0, 'vertical_blanking': 49,
>>> 'digital_composite': 3, 'vertical_active': 400, 'vsync_offset': 12,
>>> 'variant': 2, 'himage_size': 312, 'hsync_pulse_width': 96}],  
>>> ['Range',
>>> {'v_max': 65, 'h_min': 30, 'h_max': 60, 'v_min': 50}], ['Name',
>>> 'SDM-N50PS'], ['Serial', '0140495']]
>>>   HE:  0
>> Okay, this looks good. You are using the correct framebuffer driver  
>> (the
>> ATI Radeon driver and not the OpenFirmware FB driver, which won't  
>> work
>> for X) and it appears that your monitor is correctly responding  
>> with an
>> EDID for autodetection. Can you try generating an X config file  
>> with xac
>> and give that a try? If it doesn't work out of the box, try  
>> uncommenting
>> the "UseFBDev" option and try both "true" and "false", sometimes the
>> correct value is not autodetected by X.
>>
>> -Joe
>>
>
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xorg.conf for Mac G4 mini

Joseph Jezak
In reply to this post by David Friedlander-2

>
>     SubSection "Display"
>         Depth    8
>         Virtual    640 400
>         Modes    "640x400" "720x400" "640x480" "640x480"
>     EndSubSection
These modes are picked by xac (and probably the X server as well)
because if you look at the EDID reported by your monitor, these are the
modes it supports:
     ET: [[720, 400, 70], [640, 480, 75], [640, 480, 67]] (the last
640x480 comes from the "DT" section which is the detailed timing)

How is your monitor attached? Does it produce a correct EDID elsewhere?

I looked up the model # (from the EDID) and it appears that you are
correct in using a 1024x768 default (although the manual suggests a 75Hz
refresh). In light of this, I would completely remove the "Modes"
section and "UseModes",  "HorizSync" and "VertRefresh" lines from your
xorg.conf and keep the screen size at 1024x768. I would also add the the
line:
    Option "IgnoreEDID" "True"
to the "Device" section to force the driver to ignore this incorrect
edid information.

Now, in the second email, it appears that X is starting properly,
perhaps there is an issue with your wm/desktop. Can you install a
minimal wm (like fluxbox or twm) and put that in your .xinitrc, then run
startx again? Does this bring you to a working desktop?

-Joe