yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?!

Mark Knecht
Hi,
  OK, I'm dead tired. I admit it - yaboot has kicked my butt this
time around. Can anyone help? I did post this problem here 2-3 weeks
ago but still haven't been able to solve the problem so I'm back to
the well for another drink.

  The machine is the original 80GB PPC Mac Mini. I used to run Gentoo
on it and it ran great for years so I know at one time yaboot worked
just fine. For various reasons I hadn't updated it in a long, long
time (2 years) and instead of trying to go through the Gentoo update
process which is difficult after that much time I decided to just do a
new install. I saved copies of my kernel config and etc/make.conf but
unfortunately, being primarily an x86 guy didn't think to save
yaboot.conf and fstab. I've now done 5 complete Gentoo installs,
starting over from scratch in case something I was doing was messing
things up but so far I cannot get the machine to boot. Every time, no
matter what I do at install time, I get a message

"Can't check if filesystem is mounted due to a missing mtab file"

A somewhat out of focus screen shot is shown here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29328985@N03/5014227831

Generally speaking I'm following the Gentoo PPC install guide located here:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-ppc.xml?part=1&chap=10

I've tried both the yabootconfig method as well as manual route.
Nothing works for me so far. THey both fail the same way.

It's not in the photo but all the way through the boot the kernel
calls the hard drives /dev/hda so I'm assuming that's correct in
fstab.

The kernel is 2.6.34-gentoo-r2 and the kernel config file is attached.
ext3 is built into the kernel so that shouldn't be a problem. I built
the kernel using the older 2.6.31 kernel config I saved.

As a _hardware_ test I reinstalled the old OS X that came with the
machine and it boots fine. I blew it away and installed Ubuntu 10.04
for the PPC and it boots fine, but Ubuntu uses and initrc which I've
never used before with Gentoo. (And why on this machine as the
hardware is fixed has kernel drivers.)

I'm a long time Gentoo user. The main Gentoo install seems to work
fine on this machine. As best I can tell it's only the yaboot stuff
not booting that's holding me up from using this little machine again.

Can anyone see what I've done wrong?

Thanks,
Mark

livecd ~ # mount /dev/hda4 /mnt/gentoo
livecd ~ # mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
livecd ~ # mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
livecd ~ # mount -o bind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys
livecd ~ # chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
livecd / # env-update
>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
livecd / # source /etc/profile
livecd / # export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"
(chroot) livecd / # cat /etc/yaboot.conf

boot=/dev/hda2
#device=/pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:
device=hd:
timeout=30
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot

image=/boot/kernel-2.6.34-gentoo-r1
       label=Gentoo-2.6.34-r1
       partition=4
       root=/dev/hda4
       read-only
(chroot) livecd / # mac-fdisk -l /dev/hda
/dev/hda
       #                    type name                  length   base
   ( size )  system
/dev/hda1     Apple_partition_map Apple                     63 @ 1
   ( 31.5k)  Partition map
/dev/hda2         Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap               1600 @ 64
   (800.0k)  NewWorld bootblock
/dev/hda3         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap                 2097152 @ 1664
   (  1.0G)  Linux swap
/dev/hda4         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 root               154202672 @
2098816   ( 73.5G)  Linux native

Block size=512, Number of Blocks=156301488
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

(chroot) livecd / # cat /etc/fstab
/dev/hda4   /            ext3    noatime              0 1
/dev/hda3   none         swap    sw                   0 0

/dev/cdrom  /mnt/cdrom   auto    noauto,user          0 0

proc        /proc        proc    defaults             0 0
shm         /dev/shm     tmpfs   nodev,nosuid,noexec  0 0
(chroot) livecd / # ybin -v
ybin: Finding OpenFirmware device path to `/dev/hda2'...
ybin: Installing first stage bootstrap /usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot onto /dev/hda2...
ybin: Installing primary bootstrap /usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot onto /dev/hda2...
ybin: Installing /etc/yaboot.conf onto /dev/hda2...
ybin: Setting attributes on ofboot...
ybin: Setting attributes on yaboot...
ybin: Setting attributes on yaboot.conf...
ybin: Blessing /dev/hda2 with Holy Penguin Pee...
ybin: Updating OpenFirmware boot-device variable in nvram...
(chroot) livecd / # ls -al /boot/kernel*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5547992 Sep 22 11:06 /boot/kernel-2.6.34-gentoo-r1
(chroot) livecd / # exit
exit
livecd ~ # umount /mnt/gentoo/proc /mnt/gentoo/dev /mnt/gentoo/sys /mnt/gentoo
livecd ~ #
livecd ~ #

MacMini.config (74K) Download Attachment

Re: yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?!

Joseph Jezak
 On 09/22/10 18:59, Mark Knecht wrote:

> [...]
> shm         /dev/shm     tmpfs   nodev,nosuid,noexec  0 0
> (chroot) livecd / # ybin -v
> ybin: Finding OpenFirmware device path to `/dev/hda2'...
> ybin: Installing first stage bootstrap /usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot onto /dev/hda2...
> ybin: Installing primary bootstrap /usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot onto /dev/hda2...
> ybin: Installing /etc/yaboot.conf onto /dev/hda2...
> ybin: Setting attributes on ofboot...
> ybin: Setting attributes on yaboot...
> ybin: Setting attributes on yaboot.conf...
> ybin: Blessing /dev/hda2 with Holy Penguin Pee...
> ybin: Updating OpenFirmware boot-device variable in nvram...
> (chroot) livecd / # ls -al /boot/kernel*
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5547992 Sep 22 11:06 /boot/kernel-2.6.34-gentoo-r1
> (chroot) livecd / # exit
> exit
> livecd ~ # umount /mnt/gentoo/proc /mnt/gentoo/dev /mnt/gentoo/sys /mnt/gentoo
After looking at the screen shot, I think I have a different idea as to
why it might be failing and I don't think it's Yaboot.  If you've gotten
to init, yaboot's job is already done.

Can you boot the install CD and chroot into the install again? When you
get it up and running, check to see if fsck.ext3 exists. Even if it
does, re-emerge e2fsprogs and see if that helps.
-Joe

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Joseph Jezak <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  On 09/22/10 18:59, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> Hi,
>>   OK, I'm dead tired. I admit it - yaboot has kicked my butt this
>> time around. Can anyone help? I did post this problem here 2-3 weeks
>> ago but still haven't been able to solve the problem so I'm back to
>> the well for another drink.
>>
>>   The machine is the original 80GB PPC Mac Mini. I used to run Gentoo
>> on it and it ran great for years so I know at one time yaboot worked
>> just fine. For various reasons I hadn't updated it in a long, long
>> time (2 years) and instead of trying to go through the Gentoo update
>> process which is difficult after that much time I decided to just do a
>> new install. I saved copies of my kernel config and etc/make.conf but
>> unfortunately, being primarily an x86 guy didn't think to save
>> yaboot.conf and fstab. I've now done 5 complete Gentoo installs,
>> starting over from scratch in case something I was doing was messing
>> things up but so far I cannot get the machine to boot. Every time, no
>> matter what I do at install time, I get a message
>>
>> "Can't check if filesystem is mounted due to a missing mtab file"
>>
>> A somewhat out of focus screen shot is shown here:
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/29328985@N03/5014227831
>>
>> Generally speaking I'm following the Gentoo PPC install guide located here:
>>
>> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-ppc.xml?part=1&chap=10
<SNIP>

> After looking at the screen shot, I think I have a different idea as to
> why it might be failing and I don't think it's Yaboot.  If you've gotten
> to init, yaboot's job is already done.
>
> Can you boot the install CD and chroot into the install again? When you
> get it up and running, check to see if fsck.ext3 exists. Even if it
> does, re-emerge e2fsprogs and see if that helps.
> -Joe

Very interesting. OK - I'm in the chroot now and reinstalling
e2fsprogs as you suggest. I'll reboot in a minute and check if it
helped. (OK - I rebooted and it didn't fix anything unfortunately. Too
bad. Thanks for the idea though.)

I was wondering if this was one of those things where device names
were changing. They were hda all through the install, which is
different from the Install Guide. I've tried to adjust my yaboot.conf
file accordingly but maybe it cannot find the disk at that point
because the name changed or something. I cannot see anything in the
boot screen to indicate that but I suppose it's possible.

While I'm here in the chroot I decided to poke around a bit. Note that
section 9d of the install guide says that e2fsprogs is already
installed as part of the system and indeed it appears to be as shown
below. However I note that I cannot run updatedb for slocate without
also getting a message about /etc/mtab not existing. Should mtab exist
withing the chroot?

(chroot) livecd / # emerge -pv e2fsprogs

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.41.11  USE="nls" 4,368 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 4,368 kB
(chroot) livecd / # slocate fsck.*
slocate: fatal error: Could not find user database
'/var/lib/slocate/slocate.db':  No such file or directory
(chroot) livecd / # updatedb
updatedb: fatal error: load_file: Could not open file: /etc/mtab: No
such file or directory
updatedb: fatal error: parse_fs_exclude: Could not load file data: /etc/mtab
^C
(chroot) livecd / #

Indeed, on a different system /etc/mtab exists:

gandalf ~ # cat /etc/mtab
/dev/sda3 / ext3 rw,noatime,commit=0 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
udev /dev tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,size=10240k,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
/dev/sda5 /home/herb ext3 rw,noatime,commit=0 0 0
shm /dev/shm tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
none /proc/fs/vmblock/mountPoint vmblock rw 0 0
gandalf ~ #

However on my MacMini it simply doesn't exist:

(chroot) livecd / # ls -la /etc/mtab
ls: cannot access /etc/mtab: No such file or directory
(chroot) livecd / #

So the question is what provides mtab? Have I missed some step in the
install process 5 times? Man, that would be embarrassing but I'd
gladly suffer the shame if I got the machine working! ;-)

Thanks for your help. Still looking.

Cheers,
Mark

Re: yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?!

Wolfram Kahl
Mark,

 > However I note that I cannot run updatedb for slocate without
 > also getting a message about /etc/mtab not existing. Should mtab exist
 > withing the chroot?

For certain things, it seems to be needed --- the amd64 handbook includes a
way to get it among the grub instructions.

By the way, if I recall correctly, you once mentioned you had an ubuntu on
that machine with grub working --- I would just reuse that grub for booting
gentoo. (I have done this before on amd64, but not on any Mac.)

Wolfram

 On 09/22/10 23:33, Mark Knecht wrote:

> [...]
>
> gandalf ~ # cat /etc/mtab
> /dev/sda3 / ext3 rw,noatime,commit=0 0 0
> proc /proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
> sysfs /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
> udev /dev tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,size=10240k,mode=755 0 0
> devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
> /dev/sda5 /home/herb ext3 rw,noatime,commit=0 0 0
> shm /dev/shm tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
> none /proc/fs/vmblock/mountPoint vmblock rw 0 0
> gandalf ~ #
>
> However on my MacMini it simply doesn't exist:
>
> (chroot) livecd / # ls -la /etc/mtab
> ls: cannot access /etc/mtab: No such file or directory
> (chroot) livecd / #
>
> So the question is what provides mtab? Have I missed some step in the
> install process 5 times? Man, that would be embarrassing but I'd
> gladly suffer the shame if I got the machine working! ;-)

mtab is generated on boot as you mount devices. It's not the problem here.

Can you try adding this line to your yaboot config? It will make the
system boot directly into a shell instead of starting init:
### Put this in the kernel section
append="init=/bin/bash"

Once this boots, does hda* exist in /dev? How about /dev/null and /dev/zero?

-Joe

Re: yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?!

Mark Knecht
On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 7:10 AM, Joseph Jezak <[hidden email]> wrote:
<SNIP>

> mtab is generated on boot as you mount devices. It's not the problem here.
>
> Can you try adding this line to your yaboot config? It will make the
> system boot directly into a shell instead of starting init:
> ### Put this in the kernel section
> append="init=/bin/bash"
>
> Once this boots, does hda* exist in /dev? How about /dev/null and /dev/zero?
>
> -Joe

OK, so I did it like this:

boot=/dev/hda2
#device=/pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:
device=hd:
timeout=30
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot

image=/boot/kernel-2.6.34-gentoo-r1
        label=Gentoo-2.6.34-r1
        append="init=/bin/bash"
        partition=4
        root=/dev/hda4
        read-only

and ran ybin -v

When I reboot I have no keyboard and cannot probe around. The screen is showing

(none) / #

The kernel boots with printk timing info on each line, and then
finishes with two messages:

bash: cannot set terminal process group (-1): Inappropriate ioctl for device
bash: no job control in this shell

and at that point the machine is hung.

So this seems like it's just not finding the hardware at this point?
No disk? No keyboard?

If you want to see the whole screen I can post another screen shot on Flickr.

Thanks for the interest and help. I'm sure we'll figure it out.

- Mark

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 5:05 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mark,
>
>  > However I note that I cannot run updatedb for slocate without
>  > also getting a message about /etc/mtab not existing. Should mtab exist
>  > withing the chroot?
>
> For certain things, it seems to be needed --- the amd64 handbook includes a
> way to get it among the grub instructions.
>
> By the way, if I recall correctly, you once mentioned you had an ubuntu on
> that machine with grub working --- I would just reuse that grub for booting
> gentoo. (I have done this before on amd64, but not on any Mac.)
>

> Wolfram

Wolfram,
   On first reading I would have said 'he's crazy!' because grub is
for x86/PC architecture only, right? At least I think that's the case
with the original grub.

   However apparently grub2 does now run (sort of) on PowerPC:

http://grub.enbug.org/TestingOnPowerPC

   I think it's more in a testing phase, and if Joe or others help me
work out what I'm doing wrong then I won't need grub2, but given a bit
of time it might be interesting to try out. Unfortunately the known
bug list might make it hard for someone at my experience level.

   Looking in portage it doesn't seem to be available so I'd have to
look for an overlay that might have it.

Thanks,
Mark

 On 09/23/10 13:55, Mark Knecht wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 5:05 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Mark,
>>
>>  > However I note that I cannot run updatedb for slocate without
>>  > also getting a message about /etc/mtab not existing. Should mtab exist
>>  > withing the chroot?
>>
>> For certain things, it seems to be needed --- the amd64 handbook includes a
>> way to get it among the grub instructions.
>>
>> By the way, if I recall correctly, you once mentioned you had an ubuntu on
>> that machine with grub working --- I would just reuse that grub for booting
>> gentoo. (I have done this before on amd64, but not on any Mac.)
>>

>> Wolfram
>>

> Wolfram,
>    On first reading I would have said 'he's crazy!' because grub is
> for x86/PC architecture only, right? At least I think that's the case
> with the original grub.
>
>    However apparently grub2 does now run (sort of) on PowerPC:
>
> http://grub.enbug.org/TestingOnPowerPC
>
>    I think it's more in a testing phase, and if Joe or others help me
> work out what I'm doing wrong then I won't need grub2, but given a bit
> of time it might be interesting to try out. Unfortunately the known
> bug list might make it hard for someone at my experience level.
>
>    Looking in portage it doesn't seem to be available so I'd have to
> look for an overlay that might have it.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Yeah, grub2 isn't really user ready yet. It does work on ppc, but cannot
boot OSX (at least last time I tried it it couldn't).

-Joe

 On 09/23/10 12:17, Mark Knecht wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 7:10 AM, Joseph Jezak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> <SNIP>
>> mtab is generated on boot as you mount devices. It's not the problem here.
>>
>> Can you try adding this line to your yaboot config? It will make the
>> system boot directly into a shell instead of starting init:
>> ### Put this in the kernel section
>> append="init=/bin/bash"
>>
>> Once this boots, does hda* exist in /dev? How about /dev/null and /dev/zero?
>>
>> -Joe
> OK, so I did it like this:
>
> boot=/dev/hda2
> #device=/pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:
> device=hd:
> timeout=30
> install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
> magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
>
> image=/boot/kernel-2.6.34-gentoo-r1
>         label=Gentoo-2.6.34-r1
>         append="init=/bin/bash"
>         partition=4
>         root=/dev/hda4
>         read-only
>
> and ran ybin -v
>
> When I reboot I have no keyboard and cannot probe around. The screen is showing
>
> (none) / #
>
> The kernel boots with printk timing info on each line, and then
> finishes with two messages:
>
> bash: cannot set terminal process group (-1): Inappropriate ioctl for device
> bash: no job control in this shell
>
> and at that point the machine is hung.
>
> So this seems like it's just not finding the hardware at this point?
> No disk? No keyboard?
>
> If you want to see the whole screen I can post another screen shot on Flickr.
>
> Thanks for the interest and help. I'm sure we'll figure it out.
>
> - Mark

Okay, that all looks fine. Are you sure that you built USB keyboard
support into your kernel? This might be why it wouldn't let you type. I
wouldn't mind seeing another screen shot either. Once you get keyboard
support working, check to see if those device nodes exist.

-Joe

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Joseph Jezak <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  On 09/23/10 12:17, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 7:10 AM, Joseph Jezak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> <SNIP>
>>> mtab is generated on boot as you mount devices. It's not the problem here.
>>>
>>> Can you try adding this line to your yaboot config? It will make the
>>> system boot directly into a shell instead of starting init:
>>> ### Put this in the kernel section
>>> append="init=/bin/bash"
>>>
>>> Once this boots, does hda* exist in /dev? How about /dev/null and /dev/zero?
>>>
>>> -Joe
>> OK, so I did it like this:
>>
>> boot=/dev/hda2
>> #device=/pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:
>> device=hd:
>> timeout=30
>> install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
>> magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
>>
>> image=/boot/kernel-2.6.34-gentoo-r1
>>         label=Gentoo-2.6.34-r1
>>         append="init=/bin/bash"
>>         partition=4
>>         root=/dev/hda4
>>         read-only
>>
>> and ran ybin -v
>>
>> When I reboot I have no keyboard and cannot probe around. The screen is showing
>>
>> (none) / #
>>
>> The kernel boots with printk timing info on each line, and then
>> finishes with two messages:
>>
>> bash: cannot set terminal process group (-1): Inappropriate ioctl for device
>> bash: no job control in this shell
>>
>> and at that point the machine is hung.
>>
>> So this seems like it's just not finding the hardware at this point?
>> No disk? No keyboard?
>>
>> If you want to see the whole screen I can post another screen shot on Flickr.
>>
>> Thanks for the interest and help. I'm sure we'll figure it out.
>>
>> - Mark
>>

> Okay, that all looks fine. Are you sure that you built USB keyboard
> support into your kernel? This might be why it wouldn't let you type. I
> wouldn't mind seeing another screen shot either. Once you get keyboard
> support working, check to see if those device nodes exist.
>
> -Joe

Two pictures posted:

Top half of boot screen:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29328985@N03/5018717650/

Bottom half of boot screen
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29328985@N03/5018718202/

Full USB HID support is built as modular. I don't seem to be able to
change it to built in. make menuconfig is only giving me modular or
not set.  (Kernel config USB info this is set is at the end)

lspci says the controller is an Apple controller and the driver is
'macio' which seems sensible. I see it in the boot screen I think.
That driver is built in, but the PATA_MACIO driver is not:

(chroot) livecd linux # cat .config | grep MACIO
# CONFIG_PATA_MACIO is not set
CONFIG_ADB_MACIO=y
(chroot) livecd linux #

Maybe I've mistakenly left the right disk driver out of the kernel
thinking the hardware was SATA based? Does the PATA_MACIO option need
to be set for the Mac Mini? I don't understand how this kernel config
would have ever worked befor unless I'm confusing where it came from.

Does the append="init=/bin/bash" command allow the kernel to load
drivers or do I need to build USBHID into the kernel to get the
keyboard to work at this level of boot?

Thanks,
Mark

(chroot) livecd linux # lspci -k
0000:00:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth 2 AGP
        Kernel driver in use: agpgart-uninorth
0000:00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280
[Radeon 9200] (rev 01)
        Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200]
        Kernel driver in use: radeonfb
0001:10:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth 2 PCI
0001:10:12.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318
[AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Apple Computer Inc. Device 4318
0001:10:17.0 Class ff00: Apple Computer Inc. KeyLargo/Intrepid Mac I/O
        Kernel driver in use: macio
0001:10:18.0 USB Controller: Apple Computer Inc. KeyLargo/Intrepid USB
0001:10:19.0 USB Controller: Apple Computer Inc. KeyLargo/Intrepid USB
0001:10:1a.0 USB Controller: Apple Computer Inc. KeyLargo/Intrepid USB
        Kernel driver in use: ohci_hcd
0001:10:1b.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
        Subsystem: NEC Corporation Hama USB 2.0 CardBus
        Kernel driver in use: ohci_hcd
0001:10:1b.1 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
        Subsystem: NEC Corporation Hama USB 2.0 CardBus
        Kernel driver in use: ohci_hcd
0001:10:1b.2 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB 2.0 (rev 04)
        Subsystem: NEC Corporation USB 2.0
        Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd
0002:20:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth 2 Internal PCI
0002:20:0d.0 Class ff00: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth/Intrepid ATA/100
        Kernel driver in use: ide-pmac
0002:20:0e.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth 2
FireWire (rev 81)
        Subsystem: Apple Computer Inc. iBook G4 2004
        Kernel driver in use: ohci1394
0002:20:0f.0 Ethernet controller: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth 2 GMAC
(Sun GEM) (rev 80)
        Kernel driver in use: gem
(chroot) livecd linux #

(chroot) livecd linux # cat .config | grep USB | grep =
CONFIG_BT_HCIBFUSB=m
CONFIG_USB_CATC=m
CONFIG_USB_KAWETH=m
CONFIG_USB_PEGASUS=m
CONFIG_USB_RTL8150=m
CONFIG_USB_USBNET=m
CONFIG_USB_NET_AX8817X=m
CONFIG_USB_NET_CDCETHER=m
CONFIG_USB_NET_NET1080=m
CONFIG_USB_NET_MCS7830=m
CONFIG_USB_NET_ZAURUS=m
CONFIG_SND_USB=y
CONFIG_USB_HID=m
CONFIG_USB_HIDDEV=y
CONFIG_USB_SUPPORT=y
CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_HCD=y
CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_OHCI=y
CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_EHCI=y
CONFIG_USB=m
CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
CONFIG_USB_DEVICE_CLASS=y
CONFIG_USB_MON=m
CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=m
CONFIG_USB_EHCI_ROOT_HUB_TT=y
CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD_PPC_OF=y
CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD=m
CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD_PPC_OF_BE=y
CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD_PPC_OF=y
CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD_PCI=y
CONFIG_USB_OHCI_BIG_ENDIAN_DESC=y
CONFIG_USB_OHCI_BIG_ENDIAN_MMIO=y
CONFIG_USB_OHCI_LITTLE_ENDIAN=y
CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD=m
CONFIG_USB_U132_HCD=m
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=m
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_FREECOM=m
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_ISD200=m
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_USBAT=m
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_SDDR09=m
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_SDDR55=m
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_JUMPSHOT=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC=y
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_AIRCABLE=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_IPW=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_MOS7720=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_MOS7840=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_SIERRAWIRELESS=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_OMNINET=m
CONFIG_USB_FTDI_ELAN=m
CONFIG_USB_APPLEDISPLAY=m
(chroot) livecd linux #

Re: yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?!

Joseph Jezak
 My responses are inline this time. It's easier when there's so much
going on!

On 09/23/10 16:41, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Two pictures posted:
>
> Top half of boot screen:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/29328985@N03/5018717650/
>
> Bottom half of boot screen
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/29328985@N03/5018718202/

Okay, these look exactly as expected. You've booted into the shell fine
and the kernel does detect the hard drive fine. It appears that the disk
was not cleanly unmounted, which is what the messages in the bottom
picture indicate. Once you get USB working so we can type into the
console, we'll take a look at what's actually going on.

> Full USB HID support is built as modular. I don't seem to be able to
> change it to built in. make menuconfig is only giving me modular or
> not set.  (Kernel config USB info this is set is at the end)
If you use menuconfig and you go to the "Help" option, it will tell you
what dependencies need to be set in order to build the module. Most
likely, you did not set the USB subsystem itself to be built in.

> lspci says the controller is an Apple controller and the driver is
> 'macio' which seems sensible. I see it in the boot screen I think.
> That driver is built in, but the PATA_MACIO driver is not:
>
> (chroot) livecd linux # cat .config | grep MACIO
> # CONFIG_PATA_MACIO is not set
> CONFIG_ADB_MACIO=y
> (chroot) livecd linux #
>
> Maybe I've mistakenly left the right disk driver out of the kernel
> thinking the hardware was SATA based? Does the PATA_MACIO option need
> to be set for the Mac Mini? I don't understand how this kernel config
> would have ever worked befor unless I'm confusing where it came from.

You're using the old style driver which results in devices named hdX#.
It's called IDE_PMAC. The new driver which uses the sdX# naming
convention (and uses libpata), is called PATA_MACIO.

> Does the append="init=/bin/bash" command allow the kernel to load
> drivers or do I need to build USBHID into the kernel to get the
> keyboard to work at this level of boot?

I would built it in for now, it'll be easier since there's no good way
to get into the system to tell it to load the drivers.

-Joe

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:04 PM, Joseph Jezak <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  My responses are inline this time. It's easier when there's so much
> going on!
>
> On 09/23/10 16:41, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> Two pictures posted:
>>
>> Top half of boot screen:
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/29328985@N03/5018717650/
>>
>> Bottom half of boot screen
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/29328985@N03/5018718202/
>>

> Okay, these look exactly as expected. You've booted into the shell fine
> and the kernel does detect the hard drive fine. It appears that the disk
> was not cleanly unmounted, which is what the messages in the bottom
> picture indicate. Once you get USB working so we can type into the
> console, we'll take a look at what's actually going on.
>
>> Full USB HID support is built as modular. I don't seem to be able to
>> change it to built in. make menuconfig is only giving me modular or
>> not set.  (Kernel config USB info this is set is at the end)
> If you use menuconfig and you go to the "Help" option, it will tell you
> what dependencies need to be set in order to build the module. Most
> likely, you did not set the USB subsystem itself to be built in.
>> lspci says the controller is an Apple controller and the driver is
>> 'macio' which seems sensible. I see it in the boot screen I think.
>> That driver is built in, but the PATA_MACIO driver is not:
>>
>> (chroot) livecd linux # cat .config | grep MACIO
>> # CONFIG_PATA_MACIO is not set
>> CONFIG_ADB_MACIO=y
>> (chroot) livecd linux #
>>
>> Maybe I've mistakenly left the right disk driver out of the kernel
>> thinking the hardware was SATA based? Does the PATA_MACIO option need
>> to be set for the Mac Mini? I don't understand how this kernel config
>> would have ever worked befor unless I'm confusing where it came from.
>>

> You're using the old style driver which results in devices named hdX#.
> It's called IDE_PMAC. The new driver which uses the sdX# naming
> convention (and uses libpata), is called PATA_MACIO.
>
>> Does the append="init=/bin/bash" command allow the kernel to load
>> drivers or do I need to build USBHID into the kernel to get the
>> keyboard to work at this level of boot?
>
> I would built it in for now, it'll be easier since there's no good way
> to get into the system to tell it to load the drivers.
>
> -Joe

Hi Joe,
   OK - I got USB working and with the append="init=/bin/bash" in I
can at least do cd and ls commands.

   All the devices you asked about exist - /dev/hda1 through 20,
/dev/hdb1 through 20, /dev/null and /dev/zero - all exist.

   Doing know if it's a clue but in this  append="init=/bin/bash"
state I was unable to do a reboot or a shutdown as it complained about
missing initctl I think?

   Being that I made a number of changes to the kernel config to get
USB working I remove the append line from yaboot.conf and tried
booting into Gentoo proper but it's still stopping at the same place
with the same message about no mtab file.

   I'll put the append back in and wait for further ideas.

   Thanks for sticking with me!

Cheers,
Mark

Re: yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?!

Enlightened User
On Sep 24, 2010, at 4:30 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:

> [...]
>> way
>> to get into the system to tell it to load the drivers.
>>
>> -Joe
>>

> Hi Joe,
>   OK - I got USB working and with the append="init=/bin/bash" in I
> can at least do cd and ls commands.
>
>   All the devices you asked about exist - /dev/hda1 through 20,
> /dev/hdb1 through 20, /dev/null and /dev/zero - all exist.
>
>   Doing know if it's a clue but in this  append="init=/bin/bash"
> state I was unable to do a reboot or a shutdown as it complained about
> missing initctl I think?
>
>   Being that I made a number of changes to the kernel config to get
> USB working I remove the append line from yaboot.conf and tried
> booting into Gentoo proper but it's still stopping at the same place
> with the same message about no mtab file.
>
>   I'll put the append back in and wait for further ideas.

Assuming you are still stopping near:
fsck.ext3...

Can you confirm that /sbin/fsck.ext3 exists?
If not, then emerge e2fsprogs.

Barry

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Enlightened User <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sep 24, 2010, at 4:30 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:04 PM, Joseph Jezak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>  My responses are inline this time. It's easier when there's so much
>>> going on!

>>> Okay, these look exactly as expected. You've booted into the shell fine
>>> and the kernel does detect the hard drive fine. It appears that the disk
>>> was not cleanly unmounted, which is what the messages in the bottom
>>> picture indicate. Once you get USB working so we can type into the
>>> console, we'll take a look at what's actually going on.

>>> If you use menuconfig and you go to the "Help" option, it will tell you
>>> what dependencies need to be set in order to build the module. Most
>>> likely, you did not set the USB subsystem itself to be built in.

>>> You're using the old style driver which results in devices named hdX#.
>>> It's called IDE_PMAC. The new driver which uses the sdX# naming
>>> convention (and uses libpata), is called PATA_MACIO.

>>> I would built it in for now, it'll be easier since there's no good way
>>> to get into the system to tell it to load the drivers.
>>>
>>> -Joe
>>>

>> Hi Joe,
>>  OK - I got USB working and with the append="init=/bin/bash" in I
>> can at least do cd and ls commands.
>>
>>  All the devices you asked about exist - /dev/hda1 through 20,
>> /dev/hdb1 through 20, /dev/null and /dev/zero - all exist.
>>
>>  Doing know if it's a clue but in this  append="init=/bin/bash"
>> state I was unable to do a reboot or a shutdown as it complained about
>> missing initctl I think?
>>
>>  Being that I made a number of changes to the kernel config to get
>> USB working I remove the append line from yaboot.conf and tried
>> booting into Gentoo proper but it's still stopping at the same place
>> with the same message about no mtab file.
>>
>>  I'll put the append back in and wait for further ideas.
>>
>>  Thanks for sticking with me!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark
>>
> Assuming you are still stopping near:
> fsck.ext3...
>
> Can you confirm that /sbin/fsck.ext3 exists?
> If not, then emerge e2fsprogs.
>
> Barry

The chroot is currently doing an emerge -e @world so I've shelled into
the machine and am showing from that perspective. All the typical fsck
programs are there and I rebuilt e2fsprogs a couple of days ago.

livecd gentoo # ls /mnt/gentoo/sbin/fsck*
fsck          fsck.ext2     fsck.ext4     fsck.minix
fsck.cramfs   fsck.ext3     fsck.ext4dev
livecd gentoo #

When emerge -e @world completes I'll give it a reboot but somehow I
don't have much faith that it will have fixed anything. Right now I
feel it's either something missing from my kernel config, or some
critical install step that I keep missing because of the way I read
the document and maybe some step that listed inside a paragraph
instead of being called out in purple like most of them are. (They are
in there, like the locale-gen step and a few others...)

I'll check back later when the rebuild is complete.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Mark

Re: yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?!

Mark Knecht
On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:04 PM, Joseph Jezak <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  My responses are inline this time. It's easier when there's so much
> going on!
>
> On 09/23/10 16:41, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> Two pictures posted:
>>
>> Top half of boot screen:
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/29328985@N03/5018717650/
>>
>> Bottom half of boot screen
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/29328985@N03/5018718202/
>>

> Okay, these look exactly as expected. You've booted into the shell fine
> and the kernel does detect the hard drive fine. It appears that the disk
> was not cleanly unmounted, which is what the messages in the bottom
> picture indicate. Once you get USB working so we can type into the
> console, we'll take a look at what's actually going on.
>
>> Full USB HID support is built as modular. I don't seem to be able to
>> change it to built in. make menuconfig is only giving me modular or
>> not set.  (Kernel config USB info this is set is at the end)
> If you use menuconfig and you go to the "Help" option, it will tell you
> what dependencies need to be set in order to build the module. Most
> likely, you did not set the USB subsystem itself to be built in.
>> lspci says the controller is an Apple controller and the driver is
>> 'macio' which seems sensible. I see it in the boot screen I think.
>> That driver is built in, but the PATA_MACIO driver is not:
>>
>> (chroot) livecd linux # cat .config | grep MACIO
>> # CONFIG_PATA_MACIO is not set
>> CONFIG_ADB_MACIO=y
>> (chroot) livecd linux #
>>
>> Maybe I've mistakenly left the right disk driver out of the kernel
>> thinking the hardware was SATA based? Does the PATA_MACIO option need
>> to be set for the Mac Mini? I don't understand how this kernel config
>> would have ever worked befor unless I'm confusing where it came from.
>>

> You're using the old style driver which results in devices named hdX#.
> It's called IDE_PMAC. The new driver which uses the sdX# naming
> convention (and uses libpata), is called PATA_MACIO.
>
>> Does the append="init=/bin/bash" command allow the kernel to load
>> drivers or do I need to build USBHID into the kernel to get the
>> keyboard to work at this level of boot?
>
> I would built it in for now, it'll be easier since there's no good way
> to get into the system to tell it to load the drivers.
>
> -Joe

Hi Joe,
   OK, I finished the emerge -e @world. No changes. Still doesn't boot.

   I've put the append="init=/bin/bash" back in and booted. I'm at the
console and this is confusing. It seems that /dev/hda4 is probably
mounted. I can do

ls -al /

I see all the stuff I'd expect to see - /bin, /boot, etc. - and also
the two downloads necessary to do the install - portage-latest.tar.bz2
& stage3-ppc-20100919.tar.bz2 - so I must be looking at the right
physical hard drive.

However even though I see that stuff simple commands like df don't
work yielding something like this:

(none)/ #df
df: cannot read table of mounted file systems: No such file or directory

Additionally, there is nothing at all under /proc. It's empty!

Cheers,
Mark

 On 09/25/10 07:45, Mark Knecht wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> -Joe
>>

> Hi Joe,
>    OK, I finished the emerge -e @world. No changes. Still doesn't boot.
>
>    I've put the append="init=/bin/bash" back in and booted. I'm at the
> console and this is confusing. It seems that /dev/hda4 is probably
> mounted. I can do
>
> ls -al /
>
> I see all the stuff I'd expect to see - /bin, /boot, etc. - and also
> the two downloads necessary to do the install - portage-latest.tar.bz2
> & stage3-ppc-20100919.tar.bz2 - so I must be looking at the right
> physical hard drive.
>
> However even though I see that stuff simple commands like df don't
> work yielding something like this:
>
> (none)/ #df
> df: cannot read table of mounted file systems: No such file or directory
>
> Additionally, there is nothing at all under /proc. It's empty!

None of these things are weird, they're expected!

When you start the system with "init=/bin/bash", the only thing your
system does is start bash as the only process. Things like mounting
proc, remounting the root file system r/w (and setting up mtab) aren't
done because they're part of the normal startup process.

Can you run fsck.ext3 from the shell that starts when you replace init?

Also, which version of udev are you using? I forgot to ask if you're
running ~ppc instead of ppc, you may want to try switching to the
PATA_MACIO driver in order for the system to work properly.

-Joe

Re: yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?!

Mark Knecht
On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 8:12 AM, Joseph Jezak <[hidden email]> wrote:
<SNIP>
> None of these things are weird, they're expected!

Really? OK - cool then.

> When you start the system with "init=/bin/bash", the only thing your
> system does is start bash as the only process. Things like mounting
> proc, remounting the root file system r/w (and setting up mtab) aren't
> done because they're part of the normal startup process.

I need to find a good _SIMPLE_ book on how Linux boots. I'm just a
long time use with no real sys admin background so for a decade or
longer I just want the things go by at boot and then use my system.

> Can you run fsck.ext3 from the shell that starts when you replace init?

I cannot due to the same sort of message I get when trying to boot:

e2fsck_check_if_mount: Can't check if filesystem is mounted due to
missing mtab file
fsck.ext3: Device or resource busy while trying to open /dev/hda4
Filesystem mounted or opened exclusively by another program?

For kicks I tried umount /dev/hda4 but that complains about the
missing mtab file also. It seems from the man page I could force it
but I didn't want to do that, and again if I did and it even worked
then where would the system read fsck.ext3 from to do the check since
it's on /dev/hda4 itself?

> Also, which version of udev are you using? I forgot to ask if you're
> running ~ppc instead of ppc, you may want to try switching to the
> PATA_MACIO driver in order for the system to work properly.

udev would be whatever comes with a stable ppc system these days.

Other than running ~ppc portage and sandbox the machine is currently
all stable with no USE flags. The make.conf file is pretty much empty
other than the stuff the install has me put in. (Which mirrors to sync
from, etc.)

I've gone back and done a couple more experiments:

1) So far anything I try that refers to the drive as /dev/sda4 results
in a VFS not syncing type error so at least as far as the boot process
goes hda4 seems to be the right device.

2) I tried building in the PATA_MACIO driver but that by itself didn't
change anything:

(chroot) livecd / # cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep MACIO
CONFIG_PATA_MACIO=y
CONFIG_ADB_MACIO=y
(chroot) livecd / #

The boot still fails at the same point with the same message. Possibly
some other ATA driver is being selected ahead of this one and maybe it
needs to be removed from the kernel? I don't know what to remove
though so I'm sort of stuck on that account.

3) If this is a kernel config issue - and it seem plausible that it is
- then I'll point out that the kernel config page of the Gentoo PPC
Istall Guide had a possible command that didn't work for me:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-ppc.xml?part=1&chap=7

Specifically:

make pmac32_defconfig

which supposedly will make a config file that would boot most 32-bit
machines. Unfortunately the command doesn't work for me on current
kernels. The install guide should be updated to either remove this or
make it more clear if I need to do anything more than that command in
the /usr/src/linux directory.

I've looked around at lots more stuff in my kernel config and compared
it to what the Install guide says. I don't see any differences but I
suspect there probably are.

Thanks!

- Mark

Re: yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?!

Mark Knecht
On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Mark Knecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
<SNIP>

> 3) If this is a kernel config issue - and it seem plausible that it is
> - then I'll point out that the kernel config page of the Gentoo PPC
> Istall Guide had a possible command that didn't work for me:
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-ppc.xml?part=1&chap=7
>
> Specifically:
>
> make pmac32_defconfig
>
> which supposedly will make a config file that would boot most 32-bit
> machines. Unfortunately the command doesn't work for me on current
> kernels. The install guide should be updated to either remove this or
> make it more clear if I need to do anything more than that command in
> the /usr/src/linux directory.
<SNIP>

Nix this comment. I got the command to work and am going back to
ground zero on the kernel config. We'll see what happens.

Sorry for the noise. Just frustrated after weeks of this. Mac is just
harder than PC I suppose...

Thanks,
Mark

Re: yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?!

Mark Knecht
On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Mark Knecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
<SNIP>

>> Also, which version of udev are you using? I forgot to ask if you're
>> running ~ppc instead of ppc, you may want to try switching to the
>> PATA_MACIO driver in order for the system to work properly.
>
> udev would be whatever comes with a stable ppc system these days.

No change at all using the kernel created by 'make pmac32_defconfig'.
Fails at the same place.

udev is version 151-r4. I haven't created any rules for it. It's all
default Gentoo.

While I'm sure I won't actually do it I feel very close to burying a
ball-peen hammer right in the middle of this little box and being done
with this mess... ;-)

 - Mark

Re: yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?!

Klaus Müller-2
Am 23.09.10 00:59, Mark Knecht wrote:
>[snip]
>Can anyone see what I've done wrong?

Most likely nothing at all.

Your hd may be faulty.
I had a problem with such a hd some time ago
(not on PPC, and a really old hd btw).

No error was found by any hd-check.

[X]Ubuntu and Puppy installed, booted and worked fine,
Gentoo installed fine but refused to boot.

After replacing the hd, Gentoo installed, booted and works.

12